Question

Using Alexa App with Boost Network

• 19 October 2017
  • 2 replies

I have a Sonos system with 20+ Sonos speakers in a large 3-story house and I have 2 Amazon Echos and one Amazon Tap. The Sonos speakers are on a Sonos Boost network hardwired to my wireless router, while the Amazon Echos and Tap are on my home wifi network (same tri-band router). I added the Boost to allow the Sonos a wider network of their own without interference from TVs, phones, etc. and to extend to the garden and it’s worked pretty well over several years.

I worked through the procedure numerous times to have the Sonos speakers and the Alexa app work together but the Alexa app won’t discover my Sonos devices at all. Is that because they are on the Boost network?

If so, is there a work-around or do I have to disable the Boost and put the Sonos system back on my home wifi network to make it work with Alexa?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I have the same problem trying to get Alexa Spot to discover Sonos speakers on a Boost network. Skill cannot be added. Sonos support needs to respond.
It should not matter. Are you using mobile devices to control Sonos now? Make sure the Echo devices are on the same WiFi as the mobile devices. It may be that you have a guest network that only has internet access. You need local access also, which would be the same WiFi credentials as your devices that use the Sonos app.