Question

use Alexa to play my music library to sonos speakers

How can I get Alexa to play My Music Library (using the Bridge to my NAS drive) onto my Sonos speakers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Skills have no access to the local network ie your music files. The Sonos Cloud API offers nothing in the way of access to your local files either. The only way to achieve this is via some piece of software running on your local network that proxies between the Skill and your local files.

This is how my Skill worked, but thanks to its reliance on timely Apple Push Notifications combined with Amazon’s painful verification methodology, along with the $50/month I was shelling out to run the service, I eventually decided to retire the Skill.

I know nothing about how Google Home works but everything i have read indicates it has the same issues as Alexa.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I keep coming back here from time to time in the hope that someone will have figured out how to or designed a skill to have Alexa play my local library. l Have a very large collection of music I like and have no need for Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music or any online/cloud accesses. Does Google Home have a connection?

What is "My Speaker" skill? Is it different to the Sonos skill?It is a third party skill to use with Sonos, which apparently allows Alexa control of the local library.

@controlav is its developer. He has been admirably careful not to over-plug it on this forum, IMO.
I sense sacrarsm. 😆

No. I think it is legitimate to mention it if it provides a possible solution to a specific query and that is all he has done.

What is "My Speaker" skill? Is it different to the Sonos skill?It is a third party skill to use with Sonos, which apparently allows Alexa control of the local library.

@controlav is its developer. He has been admirably careful not to over-plug it on this forum, IMO.

I sense sacrarsm. 😆
What is "My Speaker" skill? Is it different to the Sonos skill?
It is a third party skill to use with Sonos, which apparently allows Alexa control of the local library.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What is "My Speaker" skill? Is it different to the Sonos skill?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There is also the option of using IFTTT and the trigger to play a favourite with either Alexa or Google Assistant.. The downside is that you would need to create a trigger for each playlist.

Thanks for your help on this. I have looked at My Speaker skill but it’s a little unclear whether you can access the files through the Bridge. I have raised this with the writer and await a reply. Once I hear back I will update this posts
thanks again
That's me 🙂 So long as Sonos has been configured to read your NAS, you should be fine.

And I might add, I don't know what you mean by 'access the files through the Bridge'. I am not sure it means anything. That may explain why it's not mentioned in connection with the My Speaker skill!
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Thanks for your help on this. I have looked at My Speaker skill but it’s a little unclear whether you can access the files through the Bridge. I have raised this with the writer and await a reply. Once I hear back I will update this posts
thanks again

That's me 🙂 So long as Sonos has been configured to read your NAS, you should be fine.
thanks again
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
There are other 3rd party solutions too. Go to the Skills section of the Amazon store, search for Sonos, read the descriptions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No, not currently. There is a solution using plex I believe, not never looked into it myself.