Answered

Unable to play to multiple Sonos speakers

• 30 December 2021
  • 10 replies

This forum helped me get a new Sonos speaker working at my office yesterday, however, when I got home, the Sonos speaker in my living room was no longer working!

So I have two Sonos systems - a grouped pair in my living room, and a single Sonos One at my office (miles away on a different wifi network)

When I disable and re-enable the Sonos skill, it asks which Sonos speaker to control (out of a list of two). Whichever one I select now works, but the one I couldn’t select, no longer works. Is it possible to have two Sonos speakers in the Alexa eco-system?

I’ve attached screenshots of the group setup for the two rooms. Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 30 December 2021, 19:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The relationship between a Sonos & Amazon account must be 1:1 and location specific.  Are you using the same two accounts in both locations?

Yes. Same Amazon account, same Sonos account. Different wifi networks.

You likely have two Sonos Households (on the same account). Sonos Household & Amazon Account must be 1:1. You can check the household ID on the About page in the app when at each location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The relationship between a Sonos & Amazon account must be 1:1 and location specific.  Are you using the same two accounts in both locations?

Yes. Same Amazon account, same Sonos account. Different wifi networks.

The “About my System” section of the Sonos app lists just the one office Sonos and not the house speakers, so it appears that I do in effect have two households. Do I need to set up the speaker again at my house to get it into the same household? I presume I could then move the speaker back to my office and change the wifi settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You need to create two Sonos and Amazon accounts, a pair for each location.

Wow, that seems limiting. The Echo at my office works seamlessly on my home Amazon account. I’m afraid if I create new Amazon and Sonos accounts for just my office I’ll lose my music subscription access.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wow, that seems limiting. The Echo at my office works seamlessly on my home Amazon account. I’m afraid if I create new Amazon and Sonos accounts for just my office I’ll lose my music subscription access.

The issue is that if you are issuing voice commands to an account with two separate locations, you could start music playing at your home from the office or vice versa. I don’t know which company introduced this limitation but the limitation still exists.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The other option is to leave as is and use a separate device to control each of your locations with no voice control,. e.g. an old phone at the office.

The “About my System” section of the Sonos app lists just the one office Sonos and not the house speakers, so it appears that I do in effect have two households. Do I need to set up the speaker again at my house to get it into the same household? I presume I could then move the speaker back to my office and change the wifi settings.

The Sonos app will only see the speakers currently connect to a single household AND on the network your phone is connected to.   It’s not looking at your Sonos account in the cloud or anything like that.  You unplug a speaker for example, you won’t see it the Sonos app.

That said, if you setup the speakers at two different locations, they are going to be two different households. if you can, bring the office speaker home one day, plug it in and wire to the router, and see if they all your speakers show up in the Sonos app at the same time.  If not, you should be able to switch between the two households on your sonos app.  I would factory reset the office one, then add it back to your home sonos network.  Make sure all your services are setup properly.  You can then bring it back to work and follow the process to get it connected to your office network.

That said, if you setup the speakers at two different locations, they are going to be two different households. if you can, bring the office speaker home one day, plug it in and wire to the router, and see if they all your speakers show up in the Sonos app at the same time.  

I’m going to give this a try and see what happens. Thanks.