Unable to get Alexa to Play Music through Spotify

When I say to Alexa, “Alexa...play Miles Davis.” Alexa responds with, “Playing Miles Davis with John’s Spotify.” And then nothing …. just silence. I have disabled skills and re-enabled them; I have checked all connections; I have been sent to SONOS by Amazon - who tells me this is a Sonos issue. I am able to play music using Spotify through my SONOS system - but just not using Alexa. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried removing Spotify from your music services in the Sonos app and re-adding it? Is Spotify listed as a linked service under Music & Podcasts in the Alexa app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When I say to Alexa, “Alexa...play Miles Davis.” Alexa responds with, “Playing Miles Davis with John’s Spotify.” And then nothing …. just silence. I have disabled skills and re-enabled them; I have checked all connections; I have been sent to SONOS by Amazon - who tells me this is a Sonos issue. I am able to play music using Spotify through my SONOS system - but just not using Alexa. 

If you ask the exact same command again, does it work the second time?

Many thanks for taking the time to offer your suggestion. Sadly this didn't work either. But I do appreciate your kind offer to help. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Many thanks for taking the time to offer your suggestion. Sadly this didn't work either. But I do appreciate your kind offer to help. Thank you.

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying again. :flushed: Can you please Disable the Sonos skill again within the Alexa App, power down your Sonos devices and then ensure that you have logged out of ALL Amazon accounts on your device.  Then Enable the Sonos skill again and power your devices back on.  Please retest and let us know how you get on.

Thank you for your ongoing advice. Please know you’re dealing with 70 year old who isn't particularly tech savvy. So given that context, I have:

1. Disabled the Sonos Skill within the Amazon Alexa App.
  2. I have unplugged my three Sonos Speakers 
  3. When you say “ensure you have logged out of ALL Amazon accounts on your device.,” what do you mean? Which device? What do you mean “all amazon accounts?” Sorry.
Userlevel 7

@JohnCapTulum Have you tried removing Spotify from your music services in the Sonos app and re-adding it?

Don’t know if that has been tried yet…. let me reconnect the Sonos speakers - and try that. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you for your ongoing advice. Please know you’re dealing with 70 year old who isn't particularly tech savvy. So given that context, I have:

3. When you say “ensure you have logged out of ALL Amazon accounts on your device.,” what do you mean? Which device? What do you mean “all amazon accounts?” Sorry.

Sorry I wasn't clear. By device I mean the device that you have the Sonos App installed on.  You need to  logout of any other Amazon Apps. Try @GuitarSuperstar  recommendations and if not fixed try these. 😁

Sorry I wasn't clear. By device I mean the device that you have the Sonos App installed on.  You need to  logout of any other Amazon Apps. Try @GuitarSuperstar  recommendations and if not fixed try these. 😁

I tried everything and Alexa can do everything besides play music on any service. If I use Alexa iOS App it plays everything on iPhone but not from Sonos using Alexa. I can even play songs by iPhone Sonos App or Airplay. This is very frustrating because worked until tomorrow. I already did the procedure of disabling Sonos Skill 15 times without success 😞 

I have exactly the same problem. It worked well until today when I added a new Sonos One speaker.

It seems that the problem is in Alexa’s Sonos skill. Because it is not just Spotify, but also Flash Briefing is not working.

I tried to re-enable the Sonos skill in Alexa app several times, but not working. Hope that someone knows how to solve this issue...

I have exactly the same problem. It worked well until today when I added a new Sonos One speaker.

It seems that the problem is in Alexa’s Sonos skill. Because it is not just Spotify, but also Flash Briefing is not working.

I tried to re-enable the Sonos skill in Alexa app several times, but not working. Hope that someone knows how to solve this issue...

I waited some hours after removing the sonos skill and reenabled and for some reason started to work. Hope this help you