Answered

Unable to add Sonos Beam to Alexa Group

• 6 October 2021
  • 50 replies

Badge

I am trying to add my Sonos Beam to an existing (or new) Alexa group, but it does not seem possible.

I'm following these steps:

1. On Alexa, go to devices
  2. Select the Group
  3. Tap Edit
  4. Select the Sonos Beam
  5. Tap "Save"

When I go back to that group, the Beam does not appear under group devices. If I try the above steps again, the Beam does not appear selected (part of the group).

This is only a minor inconvenience as it prevents me from using commands such as "Alexa, turn on lights". Instead, I need to be more specific such as "Alexa, turn on living room lights". However, it seems like a bug with the Sonos/Alexa integration and I wanted to bring this up.

Are others experiencing the same issue?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 October 2021, 13:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Userlevel 7

It works for me. After you tap “Save”, do you get a confirmation screen?

You might try deleting and reinstalling the Alexa app and rebooting your phone. Go ahead and reboot your router too.

Userlevel 7

Hi

To properly add Alexa to any Sonos device go to Settings  > System > Under Products Select Your Beam/Room > Scroll down to Alexa > Add > follow the steps ( You may have to click add Voice service). 

Typically the option to add a voice service is offered during initial setup.

Badge

@AjTrek1 the problem I'm having has nothing to do with that. It's about adding Alexa to a group. Setting up Alexa on Sonos was fine. Thanks anyway

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar yes, there's a confirmation screen which shows the Lights in that room, but doesn't acknowledge the Beam. I've tried clean installing Alexa and that didn't help. Will try rebooting the router now.

Whole flow:

Userlevel 7

Have you tried adding the Beam using the “Choose speakers” option?

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar yes, in that case they are set as the default speakers for that room, however, if I go back to edit group, "Beam" will show up as unselected and I still have the issue of having to be specific to Alexa about which Lights or gadgets to interact with. A simple "Turn off lights" or similar will not work because the Beam is not considered part of the group

Userlevel 7

You might try starting from scratch by deleting the group and deleting the Beam from the Alexa app. Let Alexa rediscover the Beam and create a new group.

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar can you please share a screenshot of what the room setup with sonos looks like for you? Wondering if it shows under alexa devices or where?

Userlevel 7

Here is a screenshot of my Kitchen group. The “Kitchen” under “Alexa” is a Sonos One. When I say “Alexa, turn on the lights” my kitchen lights and sink light turn on.

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar thanks! Then something is definitely broken in my setup. I've tried resetting everything and doing it again but the issue is still there sadly :(

@GuitarSuperstar thanks! Then something is definitely broken in my setup. I've tried resetting everything and doing it again but the issue is still there sadly :(

Is this the new Beam (gen 2)? If so, it’s possibly the case that Amazon are yet to authorise the device for grouping or ‘enabling/controlling’ an Alexa group… there is usually a delay with new products.

Once the Beam (gen2) is Amazon authorised, you should then be able to add it to the first section of the group (assuming you have installed Alexa VA on the product) to control the devices in that group. Meanwhile you should still be able to add it to the speaker part (third section) of the Alexa group for playback purposes. I hope that assists.

Badge

@Ken_Griffiths thats indeed the case! I guess I'll have to give it some time. Thanks for clarifying!!

I was hoping for the exact same thing with the new Sonos ‘Roam’ speaker, as that too cannot (yet) be added to an AlexaEnabled’ Group to control the group. That would be helpful too, but perhaps it is possibly ‘by design’ in the case of the ‘Roam’ … as it is a ‘portable’ speaker, but I would have found that a useful (nice to have) feature.
The Beam gen2 though should get authorised, as the gen1 version certainly is authorised and can be added to the Alexa groups. We shall have to wait and see.🤞

Userlevel 7

FYI, I just added my Beam (Gen2) to an existing group that has been set for over two years.

FYI, I just added my Beam (Gen2) to an existing group that has been set for over two years.

As an Alexa ‘enabling/controlling’ device for the group (first section), or just as a speaker in the third section of the Alexa group ?

Userlevel 7

As an Alexa ‘enabling/controlling’ device for the group (first section), or just as a speaker in the third section of the Alexa group ?

Group name is Ginger for lights (Table 1 and Tri-Pod).   Room name for Beam 2 is Beam. Added Room named Beam to Ginger with instructions to only play with specific command…” Alexa play music on Ginger”

Badge

@AjTrek1 can you share a screenshot of the room config with the Beam?

Userlevel 7

Badge

@AjTrek1 yeah that's the same issue I have.

Userlevel 7

@AjTrek1 yeah that's the same issue I have.

Well…mine in not an issue… it works! 😊. I assume you mean “that’s the same configuration”. 

Badge

@AjTrek1 it works for me as well, but not with 100% functionality. Check the picture by @GuitarSuperstar where the Sonos is recognised as an Alexa enabled device. It's not the case for you or me 

Yes that’s a different section of the Alexa Group - to get it to all work correctly it should be added to the first ‘enabling/controlling’ area of the group and that’s not currently authorised (same for the Sonos Roam too) - but the Beam (gen1) can be added to that part of the group to control all the devices in the group, including lights etc.

I assume the Beam (gen2) will get authorised at some point by Amazon, but just wish they would authorise it for the Roam too.🙏

Userlevel 7

@liarspoker 

The last screenshot by @GuitarSuperstar looks exactly like the one I sent. What do you mean by “it works but not with 100% functionality?”

@liarspoker

The last screenshot by @GuitarSuperstar looks exactly like the one I sent. What do you mean by “it works but not with 100% functionality?”

I assume he means you do not have the Beam (gen 2) set as an ‘enabling’ device in the Alexa App. You just have it set as a ‘speaker’ - but Sonos products (their Alexa component) can be used to ‘enable’ or ‘control’ the devices in the group too, such as lights, smart-plugs that are held in the same group.

Userlevel 7

@Ken_Griffiths

I’m a bit confused as to your talking point and granted I'm not the smartest in the community :sweat_smile:

However, the Beam 2 as I have it setup can control lights, speakers in other rooms and it will even turn on the TV in my Bedroom. I just say to the Beam...”Alexa, turn on a lamp or group (room lights) or TV or Play Smooth Jazz on Speakers (which are designated as a room).

What am I missing here?