Answered

there was a problem adding alexa sonos - Gen 1

• 31 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

I have a number of Gen 2 and Gen 1 devices. As a number of my gen 1 devices are fine, I refuse to just scrap them to move to the full app.

Up until recently, everything was working fine. I have been using the gen 1 app and have both gen 1 and 2 items working fine.  3 of the gen 2 items had alexa integrated in them.

Then over the weekend for some reason my sonos app lost all my devices bar 1.  A quick power reset didn't work so I had to manually reset and connect them again (pain). Now I have all the items back, but I can't get Alexa working on the 3 devices.

When I go to add the voice control in the gen 1 app I keep getting a “there was a problem adding alexa” issue. The voice contol button on the sonos devices won't turn on and I can't enable the voice control.

I've tried deregistering all the devices on Amazon, deleting the skills in Alexa, but still have the same issue.  The fact that the Alexa app can connect to them tells me that its an issue on the Sonos side.

Has anyone any ideas on how to overcome this.  Such a pain all weekend with the app just dropping my devices randomly and now not being able to be setup as before.

Thanks for any input.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 November 2021, 00:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Oh forgot to say. Ive tired removing and reinstalled the sonos gen 1 app.  Still the same issue.

Alexa works fine on the non sonos devices and you can get her to play music on them when you send the request to normal echo units, including the 3 sonos units I have an issue with. 

So for me its def an sonos issue on these three smart devices that are being anything but smart.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is the error I keep getting 

Just keeping things simple to begin with, do you perhaps have access to another mobile controller? If so, maybe give that a try first and see if you are able to install Alexa. There have been some reported similar issues in recent days in this forum and trying another controller device has fixed it for some users, so it maybe worth trying that step.

Perhaps not connected, but do you by any chance have a BT Smart Hub router? - only my son-in-law had a similar issue with his Sonos system a couple of days ago and we discovered that a router update (we think) had changed a setting in his routers advanced settings labelled ‘Sync with 2.4 Ghz’ - it had been disabled and simply re-enabling it resolved his ‘similar’ Sonos issue.

I mention that here, just in case.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Perhaps not connected, but do you by any chance have a BT Smart Hub router? - only my son-in-law had a similar issue with his Sonos system a couple of days ago and we discovered that a router update (we think) had changed a setting in his routers advanced settings labelled ‘Sync with 2.4 Ghz’ - it had been disabled and simply re-enabling it resolved his ‘similar’ Sonos issue.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. No I don't have BT. The last update on my router was 3 months ago and the voice control was working just on Friday. Plus some of my sonos units are connected via ethernet rather than WiFi. So not sure its that. I did check router and don't have a sync option. But did try flipping between 5ghz and 2.4ghz signals but no difference 

Thanks for the input 

Hi

Thanks for the reply. No I don't have BT. The last update on my router was 3 months ago and the voice control was working just on Friday. Plus some of my sonos units are connected via ethernet rather than WiFi. So not sure its that. I did check router and don't have a sync option. But did try flipping between 5ghz and 2.4ghz signals but no difference 

Thanks for the input 

I did only really only mention that, in case you were using a BT router, as that’s not the case you can ignore it - anyhow, are you first able to perhaps try another mobile controller device, just to see if that may work for you?

Userlevel 1
Badge

The issue seemed to be the app.  I have a newer Android and tried it on my old ipad. Downloaded the app and it was able to compete the voice control on the same WiFi network. Strange. Anyway it's working now