"There was a problem adding Alexa"

Hello,

I've just purchased a Beam and Sonos One and went through the installation process.

I'm having a lot of trouble activating Voice Services on both of them, as I keep getting the "There was a problem adding Alexa" error message after it logs in to my Amazon account.

Both speakers appear in my Amazon account under "Devices" and also in the Amazon Alexa app (I can play music through them using voice via the Alexa application), however I can not control them via the microphones on the speakers.

Really eager to get to this fixed as I'm loving them otherwise.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Sadly I’m unable to get Alexa on a brand new Sonos one in Australia. I can’t add the skill through the iOS Alexa app, I can’t get signed in via the Sonos app, and I can’t see how others here changed their Amazon region to another country? That needs a valid address in that country. How’d you guys change your region?

latest app, latest version of iOS, the speaker is updated, but can’t get past the ‘problem’ screens.

please help - brand new smart speaker and it’s impossible to get Alexa installed or conducted. I’ve been at this for hours, read pages of forum posts.
Same issue experienced today in Sydney after setting up a new router with 2 separate devices. Tried to change the region country settings without success.

1 - Deregistered current devices on PC or tablet. Then refresh browser
2 - Close SONOS and Alexa Apps completely on smart device
3 - Disabled Alexa skill then activate again
4 - Add through SONOS app. 1st device allowed sign in straight away. 2nd device went through one ‘try again’ screen and was then successful.

Worked for me
Same here. I am now able to connect my Beam to Alexa. 🙂
Same here all working now
I received the same email. Have updated the software, basically reset everything in both the Sonos app & Alexa app & I was able to connect. Now I can connect Alexa to Spotify & I think I'll be set 😃
I received an email from sonos this morning and was informed they’d fixed the issue with a software update, and that there should be an update for devices within the sonos app and it should work after applying the update. I’m about to try it out and will let you all know if I have success.
I had the same problem as others here with a Sonos One Gen 2. However, after going back and forth with support, I tried again to add Alexa this morning (1 May 2019) and it worked! I am in Sydney, Australia. So, for me anyway, the problem is fixed. I didn't do anything differently.
I got mine (Sonos One) just over a week ago & having the same issues. After sending several diagnostic reports & trying most of the steps above on different phones (both Android & iPhone) without success, I got a response to say the issue had been fixed & to try again. I deleted everything & tried again with no more luck than before. I'm still waiting for a response from Sonos after replying to the last email. It looks like they have closed my ticket.
Edit: also in Melbourne, Australia
I am facing the exact same issue on my beam which was purchased couple of days ago! Sonos, common fix the issue soon
Yes, changing the region in Amazon to USA allowed me to use Alexa on the Sonos One and changing the region back to AU, it still works. However, everything I setup on Alexa (AU) is now not available as I am now using Alexa (USA) even after changing the region back in Amazon. So now, anything I setup on Alexa (USA) will not be available when a more permanent fix is provided and am back to using Alexa (AU).
thanks this fixed it for me too. i changed my region straight back and its still working.
Yep changing region seems to work... But then all my associated amazon stuff changes as well? Hope they fix this bug for AU
Found a temporary fix until Sonos fixes this. I changed my Amazon country account to another country (amazon.de) so it is no longer with Amazon.au. Alexa was able to be added and works fine again.

Account
Manage content and devices
Preferences
Country/region settings

you absolute legend!

this worked perfectly.
Found a temporary fix until Sonos fixes this. I changed my Amazon country account to another country (amazon.de) so it is no longer with Amazon.au. Alexa was able to be added and works fine again.

Account
Preferences
Country/region settings

Thanks Dane1234!
Any issues when you change the region back to AUS after setup?
I can also confirm Dane1234's workaround allowed me to setup Alexa on my new Sonos One. Very happy now.
As above worked a treat, changed all accounts to US Amazon, Alexa registered and working (speakers online finally in the Alexa app!!) changes back setting to AUST and it’s working a charm...

Cheers Dane1234 for the heads up.
Userlevel 1

Account
Preferences
Country/region settings
In Australia with my brand new 2nd gen Sonos One which I am going to be taking back to the store very soon. Have tried everything to add voice service in the sonos app, this is painful! Keep getting 'There was a problem adding Alexa'. Speaker works via Alexa app and can play music services. Sonos please sort this out asap!
Having a similar issue. In Australia, bought a Beam as I have 3x One's (Gen 1) around the house. Can't add Alexa to Beam, but One's continue to work fine unless configured as Surrounds.
Badge
Logged a ticket with sonos support via twitter. Worked thru some troubleshooting suggestions with them...but no fix yet...however they said they would look into it...for now I expect this to be fixable.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I’m also based in Aus and having this exact same issue and it’s really pissing me off. I’m considering returning them and raising a complaint with the relevant ombudsmen. Pushing a so called smart product that doesn’t actually work is very disappointing from a so called premium brand.
Purchased a new Beam yesterday in Melbourne Australia and have the exact same issue. Very disappointing. Alexa assistant and voice control was a major factor in my decision to purchase the Sonos Beam:(. Thirteen days since this problem was posted on here and still nothing from Sonos by way of communication or a fix. Not really good enough for a premium product and brand. My interactions with Bose in the past have been nothing short of superb, not feeling very confident that my decision to stray was a wise one at this point!
Badge
Same issue ....located in Australia, brand new beam purchased today....disappointing start.
Still waiting for this to be fixed in Australia....
Just purchased a Sonos One in Melbourne today, Alexa does not work as described above.