Stop Music Alexa Routine

• 25 November 2019
  • 7 replies

I have an Alexa routine that turns off all my lights, televisions, plugs etc.. on my way out the door with “Alexa, I’m leaving” voice command.

No other device has an issue but Sonos. I can’t seem to figure out how to simply add a stop music command in a routine. Yes there is a stop music command with my echo speakers but I only use Sonos speakers to play music so that’s useless.

If my music is playing via Sonos speakers I literally have to say “Alexa, stop my music” BEFORE OR AFTER the “Alexa, I’m leaving” voice command.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same problem. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think if you started the playback through Sonos app, then the “Stop Audio” command in Alexa routine will not stop your music. If you initiated playback through Alexa, then “Stop Audio on All Devices” should stop the music. 

The reason I start audio playback from Sonos is because Alexa keeps hitting the wrong radio station or the wrong podcast episode and it’s faster to find and click what I want in Sonos app’s Favorites. 

Have the same trouble. Would love to be able to turn off all my ligts and stop the music in one command. Have you found the way to do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Verbally I would say “Alexa, tell My Speaker to stop everywhere”, but I use my iOS app and Skill for that. Not sure if my Alexa Skill will work in a Routine.

Verbally I would say “Alexa, tell My Speaker to stop everywhere”, but I use my iOS app and Skill for that. Not sure if my Alexa Skill will work in a Routine.

That would stop the speaker yes but my lights would still be turned on.. im looking for a way to turn off lights and stop audio in one routine/command

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve not used this myself but have you looked at the trigger in IFTTT to ‘Stop Sonos when I leave home’?  It wouldn’t be part of the routine per se but would deliver the same result.

Userlevel 1

In your Alexa routine:

Add New

Device Settings

Stop Audio

All Devices 

That will only work on Sonos devices that have Alexa built in.

What I do. I have a IFTTT applet that uses the Alexa trigger ("goodnight" in my case) to the 'Pause' playback on entire house. You can then add that IFTTT applet to an Alexa Routine.

Works a treat! Also turns off lights, TV, docks robot vacuum and reminds me to set the alarm! Sorted! ;-)