Answered

Sonos won't play when i ask alexa to play?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, michael319. Please clarify what you mean by location address. What we are referring to is your geographic location in your Amazon and Sonos accounts. Is this what you meant, too?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Okay, can you check that your location is correct against each of your Sonos One's two components in the Alexa App>Settings and also your profile in www.sonos.com. If these are all correct, then I suggest that you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread.

Not sure what you mean by location. All the Sonos are online and location Address same. IDK if that's what you mean.

Here is my diagnostics 399111744
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay, can you check that your location is correct against each of your Sonos One's two components in the Alexa App>Settings and also your profile in www.sonos.com. If these are all correct, then I suggest that you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for this and I should have asked long ago - sorry. Voice control of local music libraries is not currently supported by Alexa but you should be able to pause and resume after starting in the App. However I do find that sometimes I need to include the room name in the command. Have you tried this? Please see this help article for supported music sources/services via voice control:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.57175786.1121285110.1523427758-1479154436.1521274384&_gac=1.123080825.1523444829.Cj0KCQjw5LbWBRDCARIsALAbcOcQEBh0zI9fApEJB5KbLRWkuTpyREwEvYUB6pbj5ti2rqQMivEk6e8aAlPfEALw_wcB

I don't ask Alexa to play specific songs from local librsrg. Just to continue playing what is on the app. IDK why it says enable Sonos skill it is enabled. I don't remember it doing this before. Just recently.

I also just had music paused from Amazon music and that also said the same message about enable Sonos skill but it already is enabled.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for this and I should have asked long ago - sorry. Voice control of local music libraries is not currently supported by Alexa but you should be able to pause and resume after starting in the App. However I do find that sometimes I need to include the room name in the command. Have you tried this? Please see this help article for supported music sources/services via voice control:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.57175786.1121285110.1523427758-1479154436.1521274384&_gac=1.123080825.1523444829.Cj0KCQjw5LbWBRDCARIsALAbcOcQEBh0zI9fApEJB5KbLRWkuTpyREwEvYUB6pbj5ti2rqQMivEk6e8aAlPfEALw_wcB
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi

A couple of questions:

- Did you follow the steps in the link I replied to you?
- When it stops working can you check that the device is still online?
- Have you set-up the same music services/accounts within the Alexa and Sonos apps?
yes I did do the steps. I did a complete reset now. It isn't music from Amazon it's music from my Mac music library. It only happens when the music is paused for a few minutes. Seems to be something to do with it being inactive for a bit. But doesn't make sense cause its still in the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

A couple of questions:

- Did you follow the steps in the link I replied to you?
- When it stops working can you check that the device is still online?
- Have you set-up the same music services/accounts within the Alexa and Sonos apps?
Userlevel 1
Badge
hmm it actually seems to be when it is inactive for a while that it stops working... sorry for the contant replies
Userlevel 1
Badge
Could it be cause I am playing from Sonos app on phone as opposed to my computer?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Still not working. It says "hmm to do that. Enable your Sonos skill in the Alexa app after doing that say Alexa discover devices.

I already did that.

Weird thing is once I go into Sonos app on my iPhone and click play button then I can ask Alexa to pause and skip. But once I play a video on Hulu on my phone it's as if Alexa doesn't have music to play from Sonos. Even though it's in the player but paused.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yepokay now all are online with Alexa and I just turned off the mic on the one speaker, so it won't hear me ask for alexa. I don't need all the speakers to hear me. Is that what you were referring to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yep
Userlevel 1
Badge
Are any of your devices showing as 'offline' in Alexa App>Settings?

Please look at the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126
Hi yes one of the sonos players is offline, but i thought that was because i don't have alexa turned on for it. is that why?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Are any of your devices showing as 'offline' in Alexa App>Settings?

Please look at the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126