Answered

Sonos will not skip songs with alexa

Userlevel 1

Alexa says she cannot play the next song when asked to do so. This is a sonos problem because other alexa devices will skip when asked. Only sonos devices wont skip. Sonos and alexa seem to respond correctly to all.other requests, weather, timer, play music etc.

icon

Best answer by sames22 16 April 2020, 02:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

81 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’ve only had the Sonos One for a couple of days. Problems with no skip on Amazon Music and Tunein dropout radio stations, but nobody seems to be able to fix or take any serious interest in fixing these issues as these threads are months and months old. Great sound on the speaker, but if they don’t fix these issues soon, It’ll be RMA for sure.

Rather than complaining in multiple threads it’ll be great you’d provide some useful information about your network configuration, and we might be able to assist.

If it’s a specific radio station that drops out, there is nothing Sonos can do about it because it’s the station’s infrastructure that causes the dropouts. There are other radio station aggregators than TuneIn that you can try out, search for them under “Add Music Sources”.

Multiple threads? Two threads one for each problem. Tunein drops out on stations when voice activated, there are multiple threads about this, it works from sonos app, so it seems quite obvious it’s a Sonos problem and nothing to do with my network config, as LBC, BBC etc work on their players. Also Tunein works fine on my PC, Laptop, phone, cheap £25 google mini. Also my radio tuner does not play the correct stations with Sonos One, coupled with the non skipping of Amazon Music these are problems that should have been addressed and fixed a long, long time ago. This is why people pay a premium for their products,as they expect good support and not ridiculous answers like wifi interference when voice activating radio stations for dropout on tunein when it works on all other platforms seamlessly. Unable to skip Amazon tracks, but it’s blame everyone else apart from SONOS. It’s SONOS’s job to fix these problems, not ignore and give people the run around. Fix or quite frankly you can have your speaker back early next week.

Userlevel 1

I am in the US.

Problem still persists.

I have uninstalled and reinistalled all apps. I have disabled and enabled all skills. Nothi g works. 

At times it appears to get worse and alexa qont respond to other commands.

Problem only exists on sonos not amazon/alexa devices

WHERE IS SONOS????? I THOUGHT THOS WAS THERE FORUM TO PROVIDE INFORMATION.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

if i ask to Alexa “start playlist XY” she plays only the first song and then stop. But I noticed that if I start the playlist manually on the sonos app then Alexa quietly changes the tracks. I have come to the conclusion that the problem is in the skill on alexa app.

Userlevel 1

OKAY I THINK I GOT IT. RIGHT NOW THE SITUATION IS RESOLVED FOR ME.

I deregistered my sonos devices with Amazon on BOTH the Alexa App AND in my Amazon prime account. Deregistering on the alexa app is not good enough, deregister with amazon on the web or through their app.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled sonos app for good measure. In the sonos app i selected Amazon as a music service (my sonos is already alexa voice enabled/embedded) from there it asked me to reauthorize the amazon account for music. I had to link my devices to the amazon music account again individually.....so far so good. She is skipping aongs and acting normal...for now.

Good luck everyone. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

But the more cases they have the more reason they will have to fix the 

yes, is true...

I have written an email to customer care to report the problem. They say they will check.

I can honestly return my sonos products by the end of May, in case I will do so.

Badge

Yes, factory reset fixed the issue.  

I have 6 speakers to do so I have to do a factory reset on all devices then head back to the amazon website to re register all the devices, then onto the the Alex app and do the same after I have found the devices on the Sonos app?

Sonos should send a update to rectify this situation as if the last update messed things up they should sending the new fix.

Thanks

you are adding steps that are not needed.  

step 1: in the Sonos amp remove amazon music.

step 2: disable Sonos skill in the Alexa app.  

step 3: either using the amazon app or the webpage go to device and contents section and deregister each Sonos device found

those three steps takes about 1 min. 

step 4: factory reset all devices all but one.  (This will make added devices back quicker) 

step 5: in Sonos app go to settings>system>add device

add all speakers.  Then Factory reset the last speaker and add it back  

(for me this took about 4 mins for three devices)  

step 6: add amazon music back in Sonos app

Step 7: add Sonos skill back in the Alexa app

step 8: run discover if the Alexa app didn’t do it.  You can do so by voice command or via Alexa app.  

You should be able to test the system now.  

This error is possibly an issues between Sonos systems and amazon servers.   The factory reset forces a new connection between Sonos and amazon servers.   I’m not sure if a software update can do it alone.   This could be sonos’s fault but could also be Amazon’s fault.  

Userlevel 1

Problem is back again. Issue was resolved for a short while. Let us know what to do SONOS.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Doesn't work. This is a problem for a lot of people now. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This actually seems WORSE today.

Alexa play ‘music’ works

Alexa ‘stop music’ works

Alexa ‘pause music’ works

Alexa ‘resume music’ totally doesn’t work at all

Alexa ‘play’ (when attempting to resume doesn’t work)

Alexa ‘play music’ (when paused) starts a new station or a random song

Alexa ‘next’ or ‘Alexa skip song’ doesn’t work on playlists or Apple Music stations.

Previously I could at least start music playing, then say ‘pause music’, take a call, then say ‘resume music’ and it worked fine.

I don’t know how many times I can re-enable skills, re-authorise services and go in circles looking for four basic commands to work consistently and reliably. This is all I want Alexa on my Sonos One to do:

Play music

Pause music

Resume music

Skip this song

Is that too much to ask from both Amazon and Sonos to deliver consistently? This is the most simple of all the things you want a smart speaker to do and they are totally random and failing on the integration.

Using the app I am fine, but the whole point of integrating Alexa into my Sonos Move and Sonos One is to enable me to say play music, pause music, resume music, skip a song.

I have integrations with my smart lighting that work effortlessly and they cost a LOT less than my sonos gear.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So do I have to then re discover all my Sonos speakers on the Sonos app? Reset all the speakers

could you kindly send the steps thank yo

Badge

How much work would that be? And do you think it will work if i try it on one of my speakers first?

I don’t know how much setup the speakers require.  The amp was easy.  Took a few mins to reset and then add them back to my account.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve enabled and disabled the skill until my fingers hurt. I’ve restarted, rebooted and nothing works. Alexa replies “I can’t skip”.

google Alexa Sonos can’t skip songs / Alexa Sonos won’t skip tracks and you end up here in one of the many unanswered unsolved forum threads.

I have just tested this on my set-up again whilst listening to a playlist in my queue.  Using the commands ‘Alexa, Next’ and ‘Alexa, Previous’, both commands worked correctly.

I wonder if this is a geographical issue?  

My details are:

Device: Sonos One

Voice: Amazon Alexa

Can you confirm the command that you are using? And that your voice assistant has heard you correctly in the relevant App History?

I’ve tried this twice, second time was just in case had added the skill too early. Unfortunately it has not worked for me either time. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’ve only had the Sonos One for a couple of days. Problems with no skip on Amazon Music and Tunein dropout radio stations, but nobody seems to be able to fix or take any serious interest in fixing these issues as these threads are months and months old. Great sound on the speaker, but if they don’t fix these issues soon, It’ll be RMA for sure.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I'm in the UK. Been able to skip 1 song in about 100 attempts over the last several days. Works on other devices just not sonos. This is a sonos problem.

If you use the sonos app to skip songs on amazon music it won't either. You have to go on the amazon music app and select a different song. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

OKAY I THINK I GOT IT. RIGHT NOW THE SITUATION IS RESOLVED FOR ME.

I deregistered my sonos devices with Amazon on BOTH the Alexa App AND in my Amazon prime account. Deregistering on the alexa app is not good enough, deregister with amazon on the web or through their app.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled sonos app for good measure. In the sonos app i selected Amazon as a music service (my sonos is already alexa voice enabled/embedded) from there it asked me to reauthorize the amazon account for music. I had to link my devices to the amazon music account again individually.....so far so good. She is skipping aongs and acting normal...for now.

Good luck everyone. 

Sames22, sorry but it still works?

I have tried:

• delete any amazon accont on my phone (amazon, music and prime video)
  • delete sonos skill on alexa app
  • delete any app amazon
  • delete alexa on my app sonos
  • delete any streaming music service on my app sonos (apple music and amazon music)
  • delete app sonos
  • deregistrer any device sonos on my account amazon (on the web app)
  • delete any permission on apple music for alexa
  • turn off the iphone

waited 15 minutes and:

• reinstalled the app sonos
  • authorized alexa on app sonos
  • authorized apple music on sonos
  • autorized amazon music on sonos
  • reinstalled amazon app, amazon music app, prime video
  • authorized skill sonos
  • authorized skill apple music

but it doesn't work anyway!!!

The answer is always the same: “I can’t skip the song”

device: Sonos ONE gen2

Phone: Iphone 11

I wrote to customer service but I don't think they will help me.

if i ask to Alexa “start playlist XY” she plays only the first song and then stop. But I noticed that if I start the playlist manually on the sonos app then Alexa quietly changes the tracks. I have come to the conclusion that the problem is in the skill on alexa app.

I’ve come to that same conclusion myself.  I disabled the Sonos skill and added it back (pain in the ash for me) and it worked for maybe a day or less. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’ve have tried everything but my devices will not skip tracks or if I ask Alexa to play my songs when a track has finished it will not play the next song?????

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello there, I did speak to a senior engineer he is well aware of this issue and infact he has the same problem with his Sonos speakers. He is currently trying to get this resolved but it may take time. He agreed it’s not good enough and it’s happened 2 years ago but it sorted it self out. Now more and more people are having the same problem I believe it’s a priority now. He will contact me once things are rectified. How many devices do you have connected to your amazon Alexa app? Call them again and ask to have a senior engineer to contact you. Please let us know how you get on. I miss the facility to ask Alexa to skip songs etc that was such a great thing. By the way if you ask Alexa to start songs does she play songs after the first song has played?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes it all works if you start songs directly from the Sonos app. It’s not a amazon Alexa problem as my Alexa dots work fine it’s 100% a Sonos issue between the music sever and Sonos servers. Do call them Monday 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

ok i will. But if it is a problem with server Sonos and Alexa, i don’t think they could help me...

Firewater, the factory reset process worked for me!  Here are a few tweaks I did during my process:

• After removing devices from Alexa / Amazon website, I also deleted any groups that had only contained a Sonos speaker
  • After re-enabling Sonos skill in Alexa app and re-discovering devices, Alexa service did not immediately work on my speakers.  I then had to go back to the Sonos app and re-add the Alexa service to all speakers.

After doing this everything is now working properly on my speakers (at least for now).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I may have to do the same. 

CovertDirt,

I am listening to the classic rock station on amazon music as I am writing this and it is working fine for skipping tracks, volume, pause/resume, etc. I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok so I have an Apple Music account. Where do I go on the amazon website to reregister my devices? So de registering them from the amazon Alexa app won’t work? I just hope I won’t lose all my other devices that are connected to the Alexa app. Do I need to go back to the amazon Alexa app and re register my Sonos speakers? Thank you