Question

Sonos voice services on Sonos One...trouble setting up

• 20 November 2017
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Just setup my Sonos 1, in its own room separate from my Play 5 and sub. Plays music fine. No Problem.

Sonos skill in Alexa already setup, Alexa sees Sonos One. I can control S One through Echo Dot. As well as my other speakers.

When I attempt to setup Voice Services on Sonos One all I get is a loop. I touch Voice Services in the Sonos app on my iPad, the "Control Sonos with your voice" box pops up, hit the "Learn More" bar, goes to "Help and Tips" page, "Control Sonos with Amazon Alexa", touch link "Go to "Set up voice control on your Sonos One" to learn more.", tap that link, goes to a page in "Help and Tips", tells me to set up sonos 1 and to go to More (arrow) Voice Services and follow the prompts. Tap the Set it up now bar and....it just starts the same process over again.

I guess I'll try and uninstall/reinstall the Alexa skill, see what happens.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have you selected 'Discover' in the Alex App>Smart Home>Devices?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
"Sonos skill in Alexa already setup, Alexa sees Sonos One. I can control S One through Echo Dot. As well as my other speakers."
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I suggest that you follow the steps I've listed in the answer in this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks. Didn’t work.

As per the post you referred to above:
Can you please try these actions:

- In the Alexa app, select 'Skills' and disable the Sonos Skill; DONE
- In the Alexa app (PC version), select 'Smart Home' then 'Devices';
- Select 'Forget All' at the bottom of the screen;

- In the Sonos app, select 'Settings' and for each of the Sonos 1's remove 'Voice Recognition'; CANNOT DO SINCE I WAS NEVER ABLE TO ENABLE VOICE RECOGNITION IN THE FIRST PLACE

- If you have a Connect, please power down and then switch on and wait for it to boot; NO CONNECT

- Power down the two Sonos 1's and then switch them back on and wait for them to boot; DONE

- In the Sonos app, Select 'Manage' and then select 'Add a player or sub' and add the two Sonos 1's again. This will complete the set-up process again; DONE

- In the Alexa app, select 'Skills' and ensure the Sonos skill is enabled, if not please 'Enable'; ENABLED

- In the Alexa app (PC version), select 'Smart Home' then 'Devices'
- Select 'Discover' at the bottom of the screen. Ensure that your Sonos 1's are displayed correctly and not shown as 'Off Line'. Also ensure that there are no devices with the same name (To ensure my Sonos devices are not duplicated, I've added Sonos to the end of each of my players within the Sonos App. Remember, if you want to do this, rename before selecting 'Discover'; ALEXA NEVER DISCOVERS THE SONOS1. IT DOES SHOW UP AS A DEVICE. ALEXA DOES NOT SEE IT AS AN ALEXA ENABLED DEVICE

I see more and more people having the same sorts of problems but no comments from Sonos. Sigh, it is Beta ware after all

Just have to be patient I suppose.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you submit a diagnostic.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Sure,

Totally agree with MythicBeast. Exact same issues.

UKMedia: Can you post instructions for resolving using iOS app instead of PC version? Does anyone use "PC"s anymore? I don't have those option on my iPhone Alexa app:

"In the Alexa app (PC version), select 'Smart Home' then 'Devices' select 'Forget All'"
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Totally agree with MythicBeast. Exact same issues.

UKMedia: Can you post instructions for resolving using iOS app instead of PC version? Does anyone use "PC"s anymore? I don't have those option on my iPhone Alexa app:

"In the Alexa app (PC version), select 'Smart Home' then 'Devices' select 'Forget All'"

There are differences between the PC and Android/iOS apps and a lot of problems experienced on these platforms can be resolved on a PC. Try accessing the app via https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or https://alexa.amazon.com via a browser.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Oscarv, gave up on mine for now. Waiting for Sonos to sort things out eventually. I just don’t have time to try this, that and the other to make something work that should work straight out of the box.
UK: Thanks, but when I hit that link it just routes me to the app. Back to where we started.

Mystic:. Agreed, but sometimes it's the principle of the thing.... One of the reasons I paid big $ to Sonos was to ditch my Amazon echos, but can't do that until I can get this to work as advertised. Good luck
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Agree.
I’m considering returning mine to Amazon but, to be truthful, the Alexa functionality is secondary to my desire for superior sound quality from a small device in my garage. I’m hoping it will work as advertised, in time. I certainly won’t be purchasing another any time soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
UK: Thanks, but when I hit that link it just routes me to the app. Back to where we started.

Mystic:. Agreed, but sometimes it's the principle of the thing.... One of the reasons I paid big $ to Sonos was to ditch my Amazon echos, but can't do that until I can get this to work as advertised. Good luck

Try removing the Alexa app and then follow the link again or type the address directly into a browser. (iOS is not my strongest skill set!)
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Try removing the Alexa app and then follow the link again or type the address directly into a browser. (iOS is not my strongest skill set!)[/quote]

Installed Sonos web app on my pc in the garage, also Alexa web app. Don’t see a way to enable voice services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Try the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post:
https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Try the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post:

Did that as immediately following the PC setup. Doesn’t work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you submit a diagnostic and post the number on this thread?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Like the one I posted 2 weeks ago?

Sure, but never heard back about the first one
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Ok, here it is
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the diagnostic. The Sonos One isn't listed there, but doesn't look like you've been able to complete the setup on it yet, so that's not too surprising. Based on what you've tried, I think the best thing would be to speak with a technician live on the phone. Have you had a chance to give us a call on our support line yet? I'd highly encourage it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hmmm, that’s odd. It shows up and plays fine from the Sonos app on my iPad, iPhone and windows computer.

I’ll try calling support as soon as I find the number and have an hour to spare for what I imagine will be navigating infuriating voice prompts and listening to bad music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There aren't too many voice prompts, but I can't speak to the hold time. One of our offices is in southern California and not running at full speed with the fires in the area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just a thought - Can you select Alexa App>Settings>Garage Sonos 1 and check that the device location is set-up correctly? Also check your Alexa Enabled Play:1 location and retest.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Just a thought - Can you select Alexa App>Settings>Garage Sonos 1 and check that the device location is set-up correctly? Also check your Alexa Enabled Play:1 location and retest.

I’m guessing this is what you mean:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sorry for such a simple check but can you check that the small round white mic light is still displayed on the top of the Sonos One. (It's easy to switch off when dusting - from experience!) If not then just touch the mic symbol to toggle on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m guessing this is what you mean:

Yep, that looks good.