Answered

Sonos speaker and Alexa speaker interference

• 8 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Has anyone in the group experienced Alexa losing its connection when it’s close (in proximity) to a sonos speaker?   I’m ticking off possible issues with our Alexa dropping (intermittent wifi) connection.   The rest of the house WIFI is ok (verified already and other iOS devices operate when Alexa is down).  I’m wondering if there is a channel interference issue being so close.   Thanks

icon

Best answer by Paul A 10 December 2020, 17:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @BLinc.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share with you some information to help you out.

Wireless interference is caused by other devices that are wirelessly capable of connecting to the internet. Allow me to share with you the guide about how to reduce wireless interference.

Here are some of the devices that commonly use 2.4GHz or 5GHz wireless connection as indicated and the guide which contributes to wireless interference.

• Cordless or DECT phones
  • Wireless video transmitters or security cameras
  • WiFi routers, WiFi extenders, and access points
  • Wireless audio systems
  • Baby monitors
  • Wireless cable and set-top boxes
  • Smart home device hubs

You may also want to consider going through the guide on how to deal with an audio skip or stop.

I hope this helps.

Please keep me posted and let me know how it goes. I’d be more than happy to help you out if any other issues occur.

Thanks,

Thanks Paul.   Very helpful.   I have ensured that Sonos is on ch 11 and my router is on channel 6 however, Alexa still drops intermittently.    Sonos has not been the problem.  I was wondering if anyone has seen interference by having a Sonos speaker close to an Alexa causing this issue.   This might be an Alexa hardware issue since the WiFi in the house still works when the Alexa (that sits next to the Sonos) drops it’s WiFi.    Hope that makes sense.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @BLinc.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

I would recommend getting in touch with the Amazon Support team to see check what would be their recommendation and solution for this. You might be correct about the hardware issue. Sonos devices when placed near another wireless capable device may sometimes cause wireless interference but should not cause other devices to drop off of the network. You may also consider calling your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to check for device connectivity limitation about your router. 

Please keep me posted and let me know how it goes. I’d be more than happy to help you out if any other issues occur.

Thanks,

Thanks.   I’ve ruled out Spectrum’s modem.  I use my own AirPort Extreme Router as the base and then have 3 airport expresses and another extreme that extend my WiFi network.     I also have another Alexa I can use to see if that does not have the issue.

Thanks for your guidance