Sonos Soundbar/5.1 system with Alexa Control

• 30 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I have a very specific question.  I just spent twenty minutes on the phone with Sonos support, and I was rather disappointed with their understanding of what their systems can do . . . 

I have a Soundbar, Sub, and two Play 1’s for my Living Room 5.1 system.  

I have slowly started to integrate my Alexa system with Sonos.  If I talk to Alexa right now, I have no problem commanding Alexa to play music in my living room from my Alexa Echo Show 8 through Sonos.  This works great.  

Now, I want to “play music everywhere,” meaning I want to play music in the other rooms that have Alexa echos or dots by creating groups AND the Sonos system . . . The problem is, I have found NO WAY to do this.  I can EITHER command Alexa to “play everywhere,” (which plays through all of my Alexa components,) OR I can command Alexa to play in the Living Room which plays through the Sonos system in the Living Room.  

The weird thing is if I command to “play everywhere,” the Alexa Echo Show 8 (which is the controller in the living room,) plays music through itself, NOT the Sonos . . . 

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated especially form truly savvy Alexa owners.

Thank you for your time . . . 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge +2

Thank you for the response.  Greatly appreciated . . . 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @mcquillian.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out. This type of expectation is normal. I would like to set your expectation that as of this current version of the Sonos App including the software version, limitations, functionalities, and guidelines, Alexa devices and Sonos devices are not yet fully integrated in such a way that they can be group together. This is not yet an available feature on the Sonos App. However, what I can do is to submit this as a feature request to our engineering team so they can take a look. I would also like to recommend subscribing to this thread and to our announcement topic for any feature release, feature updates, and bug fixes. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. We will be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks,