Answered

Sonos Skills in Alexa India account

• 20 December 2020
  • 31 replies

Can you please provide me information if Sonos is actively working on creating skills for Alexa India Account. If yes, whats the target completion date. If not, is there any other way I can add Sonos skills in Alexa India account or connect echo dot to Sonos Playbar?

icon

Best answer by Paul A 20 December 2020, 17:44

View original

31 replies

I have been planning to buy sonos now hearing the response... I am wondering if Sonos is actively looking for Indian Market, i would like to know the Alexa and Google assistant support availability in India 

Google Assistant availability is shown on this Support Page:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/google-assistant-availability-on-sonos

Amazon Alexa availability is shown on this Page:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/amazon-alexa-availability-on-sonos

You can either monitor those pages (perhaps) for announcement/updates, or you can contact/chat to Sonos Support via this LINK, although you are probably best to speak to Google and/or Amazon to let them know of your interest, as such things are probably driven by customer demand aswell as the required infrastructure.

@Swaminatha vijayaraj ; realistically, your only hope is if you get products on which Sonos Voice Control works - that is a Sonos feature that does not need Alexa skills and is made available globally. I do not see that Alexa skills will ever be available in India because those need Sonos to match Amazon server infrastructure physically located in and dedicated to India/South Asia geography and I do not see Sonos ever doing that. It has nothing to do with Amazon or Google like people here like to claim.

I can’t help more with the SVC feature - I do not use it nor am I waiting for Alexa skills since all my Sonos kit has line in jacks to which I have wired Echo front ends, and I now use Sonos only as dumb electronics - which function it renders exceedingly well.

But all this works for me because I do not use soundbar solutions for TV since I dislike all of them.

Hi,

I am using Sonos arc and pair of one sl, but

Alexa not supported in India, Alexa support with arc coming or not in India 

Alexa support is determined by Amazon, not Sonos. In order to offer Alexa in India, Sonos must get authorization from Amazon, they are not legally allowed to add it on their own. Any schedule of said authorization would be held by Amazon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Alexa support is determined by Amazon, not Sonos. In order to offer Alexa in India, Sonos must get authorization from Amazon, they are not legally allowed to add it on their own. Any schedule of said authorization would be held by Amazon. 

I’m not sure I buy this entirely. When I did my Alexa skill for Sonos, I added Indian support without any special permissions from Amazon (other than the usual submission process). Their developer tools made it much more painful that simply hitting a checkbox for “in-in”, and testing it from the USA was a gigantic PITA. In the end the biggest problem was latency: my Alexa server was on the west coast of the USA, and Indian home networks and internet were slower than expected, which made the whole transaction often timeout. Sonos have a lot more resources them I do so could put a server in south Asia to fix some of those issues, but there could be other blockers, both technical and legal.

You’re probably considered too small a developer to go after, no disrespect intended. I’d imagine Sonos’ lawyers are more conservative. I know there were things I could get away with as a smaller game company that I never could get by the legal departments when I worked with Sony or Disney. Its a question of how much risk you’re willing to take, and how exposed you are…