Question

Sonos Skill not available on Alexa in Australia?

• 2 February 2018
  • 20 replies

Just received my shiny new Echo Dots today, following Alexa launch in Australia yesterday. Followed setup steps and find that Sonos Skill is not available. I got the memo re Sonos One not yet working with Alexa (Yar boo sucks!) 'til "Autumn" ... is this part of the same hold up or am I missing something? Has anyone in Australia successfully set up an Amazon Alexa device with their Sonos system?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

The Sonos Alexa skill is required for both the Sonos One and the Echos to integrate with Sonos. So yes, until the Sonos Alexa skill is released in Australia, you cannot control Sonos speakers from any Alexa device.
The Dots will work wired to such components in the Sonos system that have line in jacks - Connect/Connect Amp/Play 5.
I have successfully set it up when I had my devices registering to the US Alexa. Since moving to the Australian Alexa obviously the skill is missing. So I'll just have to wait like everyone else.
hmmmm, just got my Echo and 1st thing I went to Sonos skill.......... disappointed !!!!
when you say 'Autumn' ... are we talking north or south hemisphere ?
I'll be returning my Sonos One to JB HiFi Thursday night, after the few days I have had it.. they should be able to send it straight back to Sonos, the primary reason for this was to use Alexa in my somewhat minimalistic apartment, I did manage to setup Alexa using afake US address tired to my Sonos account, but that's wrecked my Alexa Routines. ie not knowing the weather where I am ect., I also noticed the microphone is nowhere near as good as the Amazon Dot I currently have. Will try back when I check back here in August. PS I have also looked at all the available workarounds and they kinda Suck fo now.
hmmmm, just got my Echo and 1st thing I went to Sonos skill.......... disappointed !!!!

Southern. Sonos has stated sometimes between March and May.

Southern. Sonos has stated sometimes between March and May.

Ok so now the use of a Sonos One with voice services has been pushed back to March/May. Starting to regret buying the sonos one now as I worry this saga will continue.
This is really poor service from Sonos
usually they are very good. I bought a Sonos 1 when it came out and was told that Alexa would be coming soon after. Then I have just bought an echo dot to use as an interface. Alexa works fine on this but when I try and add the SONOS Skill as directed it is not available then I read on here we have to wait until Autumn. VERY POOR FORM SONOS. If I hadnt invested $1000's on SONOS I would ship the whole lot back. Seems like the statement of free beer tomorrow....tomorrow never comes..they have released it in the US England Germany and many other countries why not here. Happy to take our money
Yes we are also frustrated - purchased the Sonos one at Xmas and tried to link to Alexa after the 2nd Feb when apparently Alexa was launched in Australia why is Sonos not ready to go when Alexa is.
Interesting article in PCWORLD https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/632856/sonos-delay-aussie-alexa-support-one-smart-speaker/.
Says Autumn 2018 but interesting comparrisons as to why a smart speaker will only work with 1 vendor (Alexa).
Where does it say that it will work with only one vendor?

And this bit in the article: "Sonos issued a press release to Australian media indicating that Alexa would come to Sonos One in early 2018." is a surprise. As far as I know, Sonos has promised a 2018 release for Canada - from all the new additions to Alexa availability released in places such as India, Japan, Canada and Australia, listed in their order of release by Amazon since Oct 31 last year. For the rest of the locations, Sonos has not said anything about the timeline. Not even 2018.

Much of this grief would have been avoided if the speaker had a line in jack to which a Dot could be wired.
Amazon manages the situation better by controlling the sale of the hardware; for instance Echo/Dots were not available for sale on the Amazon India website until Alexa was released as well. So except for people that bought hardware while travelling outside the country, no one was in the situation that they had Echo/Dot hardware that did not work. To be fair to Sonos though, all the features of the One will work in Australia except the voice control bits. And at this time of evolution of voice control in general, those bits add less than 10% of the total value delivered by the One - a subjective assessment of course.
I too am waiting for the AU sklill to be enabled. In the mean time I have changed my Sonos account to US and my Alexa Account to US. This has made it possible to enable the skill and use it as intended. I have still be able to set my address to AU so that the weather reports etc are correct.

There is a workaround until Sonos gets their act together.
I’m extremely disappointed in the delay with Alexa. How hard is it to copy the software from USA/UK and put in on a server in AUS? Or just check the box to make the skill available globally? It’s not like there’s anything complicated about adding a region to an already existing app.

Seems like a marketing decision to delay until they can run another ad campaign and get some media promotion out there.

Extremely frustrating as a long time customer
Typical of everything in Australia. Third world internet, we get everything well after it is released in other parts of the world. Very poor Sonos, love the product but this has not been good for Australian consumers.
Now can you answer the question with an actual release date or are we going to be waiting longer. At what point do we go to the Consumer Rights area and sue for false advertising and get compensated for the purchase. Pissed off right now. Used to recommend Sonos but not sure anymore.
I just like everybody else on this forum is extremely disappointed in Sonos when it comes to the Alexa app I actually purchased two Sonos one at the end of 2017 and was told by Sonos that it would be in the first quarter of 2018 that Alexa on Sonos would be available.
I find it extremely difficult to believe that a multi-million dollar deal as it would have been between Sonos and Amazon that they do not have a firm contracted date my god even when you build a house in Australia you have a contracted handover date from the Builder yet Sonos expect us all to believe that they have no date ????
I just like everybody else on this forum he is extremely disappointed in the misleading false promises of Sonos I actually wish I had of gone the Bose system now because now I read Sonos is now saying sometime between March and may of this year so what actually happened to the first quarter of 2018 I have given up talking to Sonos as all they tell you is lies and they have turned out what was initially a pleasant experience to a frustrating one fuel by broken promises and lies !!!

EXTREMELY POOR FORM SONOS !!!
The Sonos app has been updated to use Alexa but I still don't see a Sonos skill in the Alexa app. Hopefully its coming soon.
Badge +1
Do we have a more accurate ETA yet? Very much looking forward to this
Any news on this yet? I am about to send back my 3 dots as I have no use for them unless it works with Sonos. Is the ETA still fall in Australia???? So that’s by the end of May? Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Released today, so will setting it up (move from US to Aus) and trying it tonight.