sonos skill for alexa geo locked in belgium

• 2 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
I am a developer that is developing a device that has alexa functionality, like the echo from amazon.
when I try to add the sonos skill to the alexa profile of that device, it blocks me from doing this , stating region not supported.

why is the skill developed by sonos geo blocking? there is no reason for it, as it works for other skills, like the spotify connect, which works flawlesly, and has no local locale.

some person from sonos team stated that this is amazon doing, but that is not true, it is how you 'sonos' set up the profile and skill in the alexa library that stops installing the skill outside US/UK/Ger/spain/japan/..

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/custom-skills/develop-skills-in-multiple-languages.html

as I have many skills already added that install without a problem and work as intended outside the US/UK/Ger as they use the default en-US as fallback.

can you please change that in your sonos Skill so we can start enjoying the integration and maybe even make the beam and sonos one work in Belgium. echo is officially supported in belgium ( in en-US)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Yes, Sonos are still geo-blocking their Alexa integration in many EU countries. And they are also not responding to any complaints. And on top of that, geo-blocking is illegal in the EU since the beginning of 2019.
It seems that the only course of action currently, would be to report them to the authorities that are responsible for enforcing the geo-blocking ban in the EU. (no idea what they are)
Yes, Sonos are still geo-blocking their Alexa integration in many EU countries. And they are also not responding to any complaints. And on top of that, geo-blocking is illegal in the EU since the beginning of 2019.
It seems that the only course of action currently, would be to report them to the authorities that are responsible for enforcing the geo-blocking ban in the EU. (no idea what they are)

I'd suggest you take your complaint to the proprietor of Alexa. You know who that is?

I'd suggest you take your complaint to the proprietor of Alexa. You know who that is?

My echo dot is working fine in my country. But I can use my Sonos One with Alexa only when I input a fake address in my account...
My echo dot is working fine in my country. But I can use my Sonos One with Alexa only when I input a fake address in my account...
Why don't you go and ask Amazon to unlock Alexa for/on Sonos in Belgium? Remember, all settings for Alexa are within the Alexa app; Sonos is not in control of anything regarding Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Sonos is not in control of anything regarding Alexa.

Not true. When a Skill is published, the publisher (Sonos in this case) determines which locales are allowed to use that skill.
Sonos is not in control of anything regarding Alexa.

Not true. When a Skill is published, the publisher (Sonos in this case) determines which locales are allowed to use that skill.

Might be. Does not change the fact that Sonos is bound to contracts signed with Amazon.