Question

Sonos Play:3, Alexa and Amazon Music Unlimited

• 13 December 2017
  • 13 replies

Hi,

I've bought an echo dot to use with the Play:3 that's in my bedroom.

I've had the play 3 for a number of years and it happily plays anything I ask it to from my Amazon Music Unlimited account when using the phone app.

However if I try to use voice control via Alexa to play music, it will only play things that have been added to 'My Library', it won't search and play from the general streaming service. The streaming service is available on my Sonos system, as described above it works fine when I control from the phone app, but it won't let me via voice control.

If I ask Alexa to play a piece from that is only available from the Amazon Music Unlimited streaming service it will happily play it out over the dot's little speaker, if I then ask Alexa to 'Play this music in my bedroom' it will happily transfer the playing music to the Sonos Play:3 in my bedroom. Proving that it is actually possible for it to do it.

So my question is : Why can't I just ask Alexa to do this directly, why do I have to do it in a two step process ?

Hope someone can help,

Rachel

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Rachel

Are you including the Room name in the command syntax? e.g. 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Bedroom Sonos' (Where Bedroom Sonos is the device name in the Sonos App) If you have a Sonos One then you don't need to specify the room:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.147468471.1095743978.1506552577-1491669311.1488879254&_gac=1.26837327.1511606155.CjwKCAiAxuTQBRBmEiwAAkFF1oALnz96PmYXSnBA2S5Va6kZH-GMxirNsBm3OEv4x_UDJRYzPiX8OxoCxj8QAvD_BwE
Yes, I am including the room name.

If I ask to play something from my library in the room it works fine.

If I ask to play something that is only available on the streaming service on the echo itself it works fine.

If I ask it to play something that is only available from the streaming service on the echo and then ask it to move that to the room, it works fine.

But if I ask it to play something that is only available from the streaming service directly in the room it just says it cannot find it in my music library.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
If I ask Alexa to play a piece from that is only available from the Amazon Music Unlimited streaming service it will happily play it out over the dot's little speaker, if I then ask Alexa to 'Play this music in my bedroom' it will happily transfer the playing music to the Sonos Play:3 in my bedroom. Proving that it is actually possible for it to do it.

I'm sorry I can't help with your problem, but thanks for this. I didn't know you could do that!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have you set a default music source under Alexa App>Settings>Music & Books
Yes, Amazon Music is set as the default service
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Rachel

I suggest that you follow the actions I've listed in the answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
I have encountered a similar issue. Using Alexa voice control on my Sonos I am able to play anything from "my music" from Amazon. But I cannot get songs or artists not already in my music to play on command. Interestingly, if a I play a station (ie Imagine Dragons), this station will shuffle in some songs not in "my music". So, Sonos can play songs from my unlimited service but not if directly command that artist/song/album. Anyone found a work around??

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have encountered a similar issue. Using Alexa voice control on my Sonos I am able to play anything from "my music" from Amazon. But I cannot get songs or artists not already in my music to play on command. Interestingly, if a I play a station (ie Imagine Dragons), this station will shuffle in some songs not in "my music". So, Sonos can play songs from my unlimited service but not if directly command that artist/song/album. Anyone found a work around??

Thanks.

Can you confirm that you have added the same music services/accounts in both the Alexa and Sonos apps? Also, have you set the Default Music Source within the Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media?
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, we only have one Amazon account (Prime & Unlimited - not dot version). It's set as default on Alexa.

I can have Alexa play anything Amazon Unlimited has via the dot speaker. But this totality does not extend to my sonos. For some reason it cannot see beyond music I have already added to "my music". This is somehow overcome while playing a station for another artist (ie AC/DC station plays some Def Leopard songs not in my library, but I can't turn around and ask Alexa/sonos to play Def Leopard songs it just played!!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you Disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills and then Re-Enable?
I disabled - re-enabled and updated the sonos to the latest firmware. No change. It's not a terrible loss but it's curious why it won't reach out and grab that unlimited portfolio. I'd certainly be interested in a fix if anyone has the answer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I suggest you contact Sonos support.
Sonos support confirms that this is a known issue w/ Sonos-Alexa integration. Hopefully an update will address this issue down the road.