Answered

Sonos Play:1 and Google Assistant

• 31 December 2017
  • 48 replies

I have Google Home and a Sonos Play:1 speaker. Sonos says that in 2018 the Sonos speakers will be compatible with Google Assistant but will that be a software change that will allow me to use my current speaker with Google Assistant or will I have to purchase a new Sonos speaker in order to be able to use the Assistant with Sonos? Does anybody know this yet?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 1 January 2018, 01:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

I unfortunately see it differently, Blackberry also "Stood by their product" and was late to the app game which rendered their product sub-par. This is what we are seeing... But i respect your opinion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Blackberry also missed a lot of deadlines and walked back in promises.

Sonos has never walked back from a promise. They don’t promise specific dates but they follow through on what they say they are doing. You have to look at the track record before dismissing them.
Hi Chris, I agree it is hard to break a promise when you do not make a promise... Like I said before, if you feel that this is acceptable then I respect your opinion, I personally feel that giving 1 year as a potential timeline is excessive in today's fast moving technology world.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Sonos is a platform. They cannot simply add Google Assistant. This is something Google has to agree to put into place. Sonos has stated that they have a deal to add this service, but ultimately it is up to Google, not just Sonos, as to when it can be implemented.
Hi wds0001, if that is indeed the case then they could communicate this to their clientele. I have not seen this stated anywhere...
Hi wds0001, if that is indeed the case then they could communicate this to their clientele. I have not seen this stated anywhere...
Google is the originator of Google Assistant (hence the name!) and therefore the rights holder (as is Amazon with Alexa/Audible and Apple with Airplay2, by the way!).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They have promised google home support this year. What else do you want them to promise? They gave what they are doing and the timeframe. As others have said it is a partnership with google and requires them working on googles timeline as well.
Like I said, if this time frame is acceptable to you then all the more power to you. I realize that Google needs to accept the integration but I have not seen anywhere Google being the cause of the delay so that is an assumption. Other than that I hope you all enjoy your Sonos to its full potential.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Make your purchase decisions on your needs.
Access to the codebase of Google Home requires administrative privileges during the integration development, which requires Sonos bowing (low) to Google's terms and schedules.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
He isn’t going to listen to any sensibility in this. Fact is people should make purchase decisions on what systems do here and now not future developments. If Sonos today doesn’t accomplish what he wants he should look elsewhere.

Of course there is no other system that integrates with google so not sure where he plans to go other than just a regular google device. If is is so darn simple why does no one else have this ability that Sonos is working on.

As we have seen from the alexa development - most of the essential pieces of coding are required to be done on the amazon/google side.
Like I said, if this time frame is acceptable to you then all the more power to you. I realize that Google needs to accept the integration but I have not seen anywhere Google being the cause of the delay so that is an assumption. Other than that I hope you all enjoy your Sonos to its full potential.

And yet you're happy to assume there is a delay, and that Sonos is the cause of it. But for the sake of argument, let's say there is a delay, and that Sonos is at fault for the delay. Why would Sonos want to advertise this mistake to their customers since they still can complete the integration within the timeframe they promised the customers? Just to appease the customers who want to know why things aren't happening better than promised?

Let's say there is a delay and it's Google's fault. What kind of partner would Sonos be if they threw Google under the bus like that?

Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way regarding Apple? They promised the Homepod released before Christmas 2017 and missed it by a couple months, with not all of the promised features available.

I get it though. Customers don't have to wait for the integration if they don't want to, especially if they believe there are other viable options for them out there. It really doesn't matter what the reasons are.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
HomePod. They still haven’t finished it. They released it to make stockholders happy and haven’t even figured out airplay2.

I have actually seen people come on the board complaining that Sonos hasn’t released airplay2 support.l or given a timeframe. I mean - Really? Sometimes you just want to beat your head on the wall the way some people act.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I curious what the viable alternatives are being Sonos is “hypothetically dragging their feet”
Well I know one thing, Airplay 2 support for Sonos is most definitely not Sonos' fault (despite the Appleheads' claims).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Jgatie stop being a Sonos apologist 🙂.
I curious what the viable alternatives are being Sonos is “hypothetically dragging their feet”

From what I've seen, the alternatives are usually a compromise on features. Such as in this thread, getting a Google Max or using chromecast with some other brands speakers. I can't argue with that approach if you aren't that interested in the features you're losing out on anyway.
It’s working now... although you need a workaround. Download Yonomi app and add sonos play as a connected device. You then need to set up routines in the app such as lplay radio 1”. Then tell google to “activate play radio 1”.
Is there any hope for a Play:1 owner? Not really that old, although old in internet years. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yes, you will need a device with a micro phone, google mini or google home, or you android phone with google assistant on it (or a sonos one). Then hopefully the play1 will be a target that google can send commands to.
It has not been stated that any sonos item will not be google assistant capable.
thanks for the quick response. Going to give it a try. 🙂
Just a note: You can't "give it a try" until Sonos/Google release their integration later this year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yeah I assumed seanbg already knew that, oops.........I hope he is still not trying 😉