Answered

Sonos Ones Not Playing Music

• 30 October 2017
  • 16 replies

Badge
I bought two sonos ones to act as surrounds with my playbar in my living room. Besides a few small problems everything seemed to be working fine. Now the sonos ones will NOT execute music commands. When I ask Alexa to play a song, it acts like it is going to work and says that it is now playing in the living room but nothing happens. I have tried everything that I know to try and fix the issue. I have removed everything and readded everything again. I even changed the groups name thinking there may be a naming conflict. It is now named TV Room, but that didn't work either. Everything else works as far as Alexa goes, just NO MUSIC. This is really frustrating. Does anybody have any suggestions for me?
icon

Best answer by klwlls11 1 November 2017, 02:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I've had this happen to me intermittently. I don't remove or re-add anything. I just keep switching to different stations, etc. and usually after 3 or 4 attempts it starts playing. So I'll say, play something by the beatles ... it says shuffling beatles by Amazon music, then silence ... so I'll say play Neil Young radio. it says, playing neil young radio from Pandora .. silence. I'll then say, play "captain jack" by billy joel, again, silence. The I'll say, play some rolling stones -- I hear music.

So I don't think it is the setup. I think sometimes there is either a delay or trouble getting the music from the cloud for some reason. I wouldn't mess with settings if, like me, it usually works (but not always).
Badge
Thanks for the response, but I have tried asking this thing to play so many songs that I lost count a long time ago. I still get no music regardless of everything I have tried.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Open the Sonos app in Android or iOS and under settings select each if your Sonos 1's and disable then enable voice control. If the problem persists, then disable then enable the Sonos skill in the Akexa app.
Badge
I have already tried both of these. Did not help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Are you using Alexa groups? (These aren't supported yet)
Badge
No I have not messed with that. I noticed that when I ask Alexa to discover my devices it adds the name of my Sonos group such as "Living Room" to the Smart Home section in the Alexa app. Other than that, I do not have any "groups" in Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay, I'll list the full set of solutions, sorry if you've tried some of these already but it is worth completing in this sequence.

- In the Alexa app (PC version), select 'Smart Home' then 'Devices'
- Select 'Forget All' at the bottom of the screen and then 'Discover'
- Ensure that your Sonos 1's are displayed correctly and not shown as 'Off Line'

Please Retest

If still not working it will be best to re-install:

- In the Alexa app, select 'Skills' and disable the Sonos Skill;
- In the Alexa app (PC version), select 'Smart Home' then 'Devices';
- Select 'Forget All' at the bottom of the screen;
- In the Sonos app, select 'Settings' and for each of the Sonos 1's remove 'Voice Recognition';
- If you have a Connect, please power down and then switch on and wait for it to boot;
- Power down the two Sonos 1's and then switch them back on and wait for them to boot;
- In the Sonos app, Select 'Manage' and then select 'Add a player or sub' and add the two Sonos 1's again. This will complete the set-up process again;
- In the Alexa app, select 'Skills' and ensure the Sonos skill is enabled, if not please 'Enable';
- In the Alexa app (PC version), select 'Smart Home' then 'Devices'
- Select 'Discover' at the bottom of the screen. Ensure that your Sonos 1's are displayed correctly and not shown as 'Off Line'. Also ensure that there are no devices with the same name (To ensure my Sonos devices are not duplicated, I've added Sonos to the end of each of my players within the Sonos App. Remember, if you want to do this, rename before selecting 'Discover';);

Please retest and let me know the result.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
These are some great troubleshooting steps for playback issues from UKMedia. Just one note,

- If you have a Connect, please power down and then switch on and wait for it to boot;

I think here you mean a BRIDGE or a BOOST (or anything else you might be using as a wired Sonos device).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes I was relating these instructions to closely to my own set up ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
They're good suggestions. Thanks for helping out!
Badge
I carefully did everything as you stated in the exact order as you described. Unfortunately, this didn't fix the issue. I still can't play music. FYI, I had tried all of those steps before today, but maybe not in that exact order. I am not sure where to go from here. It may be time for me to consider returning these back to Best Buy before my 14 day return window is up. The unfortunate part is I know that exchanging these for new speakers will not fix my issue. This has to be software related.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you are willing to accept the risk mentioned in this help page then I would suggest a Factory reset and then adding the Sonos 1 again.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1107/~/factory-resetting-a-sonos-product
Badge
I tried the factory reset on the Sonos Ones. That didn't fix the issue. Here are a couple of updates on some things I have noticed. When I remove the surrounds from the playbar, the sonos ones fuction perfectly as stand alone speakers. They respond to Alexa commands the way they should. Next, I created a stereo pair. This also function flawlessly. Finally, I tried to re- add the surrounds, and again I have the same issue. No Alexa. Alexa will respond the exact same way saying that it is now playing, but the music never starts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you submit a diag and post the number here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can you submit a diag and post the number here?
This would be great.

Also, in the Amazon Alexa app, if you check under Smart Home devices, do you see the room that your Sonos Ones are part of? Do you happen to see a second entry there too with (offline) beside it? If you have any offline Sonos devices listed there, can you forget them?
Badge
It is now fixed. Thanks to everyone who offered advice and help. I did a factory reset on my Sonos Ones again. This time I went ahead and did a factory reset on the playbar and the sub as well. I then reset the sonos controller and started from scratch by setting up a new system. Once I got everything setup, everything is back working as it should. Thanks again.