Sonos One won't perform Alexa commands

• 17 November 2018
  • 4 replies

My Alexa One has been working fine with Alexa for about a year. Suddenly (today) I gave Alexa several commands and each time the wake tone sounded, then the activity light blinked (as usual) and nothing happened. All for commands as varied as Whats the weather, Play Tom Petty, and What's my Flash Update.

The One does play music if I find and play it from the Sonos app. And my Echo Dots all perform requested Alexa commands.

How do I get her to obey??? 🆒

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
First off, please Disable then Re-Enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App.
Badge
I have the same problem, and disabling then re-enabling the Sonos skill does not fix the issue for me. The symptom is that when I say something to the Sonos I will hear the tone that indicates it has heard me, but most of the time I get one of two unexpected outcomes. Sometimes an Echo Dot in another room responds. Other times I get no action. In the latter case I have found that I can finally get a response from my Sonos after I issue a command three or four times. For reference, everything has worked fine for months, so this behavior is a new feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem, and disabling then re-enabling the Sonos skill does not fix the issue for me. The symptom is that when I say something to the Sonos I will hear the tone that indicates it has heard me, but most of the time I get one of two unexpected outcomes. Sometimes an Echo Dot in another room responds. Other times I get no action. In the latter case I have found that I can finally get a response from my Sonos after I issue a command three or four times. For reference, everything has worked fine for months, so this behavior is a new feature.

Can you open the Alexa App>Settings>History and confirm if Alexa heard you correctly?

The other thing to try is to power down the following devices for 5 secs and then after each has completed it's boot cycle move to the next device:

- Router
- Any wired network switch
- Any wired Sonos device
- All othe Sonos devices
- All other network attached devices - sorry, I know this one is a pain!

If this fixes the problem, I suggest you reserve IP addresses for your Sonos and key network devices within your Router setup. This will stop duplicate IP addresses being allocated by your router.

Let us know how you get on.
Badge
Thanks but yipes! I may get to this, but not until after I contact Sonos when their office opens tomorrow.

I do know that, for at least some of my efforts, Alexa hears me accurately, but through a Dot in an adjoining room. I doubt that the Sonos misheard me on those other occasions when a nearby Dot did not respond. Usually when an Echo doesn't hear correctly what I had tried to say I get some response, not just the silence I am getting from my Sonos.

In the time I have had the Sonos I think that the company has made adjustments in the One's sensitivity to spoken commands. I am guessing that this has happened again, perhaps with the recent release of Sonos Software Version 9.2 in October. Maybe, or maybe not, but I want to check with the company before I reset each of my too-many network attached gizmos.