Answered

Sonos One won't group with other Sonos speakers

• 1 October 2021
  • 5 replies

I'm trying (and failing) to get my Alexa-enabled Sonos One to play music through my other Sonos speakers (six in all). I've set up a group on the Alexa app (whole house), added devices (all Sonos speakers), added my Alexa device (Sonos One), selected “always” so I don't have to specify each room … and when I ask Alexa to play music it only plays on my Sonos One, the rest of the speakers are silent.

I've seen lots of references to setting a preferred speaker but can only find this option on the Sonos One settings and my choices are either “built-in speaker" or, under wifi speakers, my Sonos speaker in the Living Room. The option “Let Alexa choose: Alexa will select speakers in the Whole house ...” is greyed out. Clicking on “Learn more" tells me to go to Devices, select the group I want to change, go to the Preferred Speaker section - and that's where I get stuck, I can't find the Preferred Speaker section.

Can anyone help, please. I've been messing about with this for the best part of a day and am getting nowhere.

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by ratty 1 October 2021, 20:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Just as an FYI for anyone looking for an answer to this, I've owned two Sonos ones for 3 years now and I can not get the two to play music via alexa. It simply doesn't work. Countless attempts, no real answer from Sonos on it. I've grouped them together as a group in alexa app (the preferred speaker option isn't there anymore) and still won't work. It's like it's not compatible despite saying it is. I love the Sonos products for their audio quality but voice integration is very poor and poorly advertised as alexa compatible. I know you can't link alexa products with Sonos in a group but can't understand why the Sonos groups won't work. If anymore has ever got this working I would love to know how. 

Shame really as if I want a full voice activated multiroom system, I won't put anymore money into Sonos products as they just don't work and Sonos don't really care. Their customer support is terrible. 

Tks, Ratty, that's useful info.

On some devices the Sonos app might not sleep in the background. Force-quit it and it’s gone. 

By the way, to be clear, a grouping operation is persistent. The controller sends commands. They get executed. The controller doesn’t need to be running thereafter at all. 

I was trying to find a way round using the Sonos app as it seems to drain the battery on my tablet.

Why not simply group the speakers with the One, using the Sonos controller app?