Answered

Sonos one with harmony hub (No Echo dot or simular)

• 5 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have bought a couple of Sonos One's. The big question is if i can avoid Echo dots etc completely. And only use Sonos One's for controlling Ex. Harmony Hub, Philips Hue etc.?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 11 September 2018, 20:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, rskadk. Thanks for the post! Sonos One can only use voice control through Amazon Alexa. This means you will not need to purchase an Echo device or a Dot, but you will still need to set up an account with Amazon and set up Alexa on Sonos. Once Alexa has been enabled on your Sonos Ones, they will be able to control Phillips hue and your other smart devices.
Hi there, rskadk. Thanks for the post! Sonos One can only use voice control through Amazon Alexa. This means you will not need to purchase an Echo device or a Dot, but you will still need to set up an account with Amazon and set up Alexa on Sonos. Once Alexa has been enabled on your Sonos Ones, they will be able to control Phillips hue and your other smart devices.

Thanks for your answer 🙂 This means that Sonos One will do excactly the same as an Echo device or a dot? (Of course set with Amazon/alexa like you are describing). Then there will be no need or any extra features available if i buy an Echo device or a dot. And can primary rely on Sonos Ones or other Sonos Alexa compatible devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Correct! Personally, I do not own any Echo devices or a Dot and use Alexa only through Sonos. Keep in mind there are a small number Alexa skills that use streaming audio that do not work so well on Sonos but work well on an Echo device.

Thanks for your answer 🙂 This means that Sonos One will do excactly the same as an Echo device or a dot? (Of course set with Amazon/alexa like you are describing). Then there will be no need or any extra features available if i buy an Echo device or a dot. And can primary rely on Sonos Ones or other Sonos Alexa compatible devices.

For the smart features you described in your original post, there is no real difference between an echo and Sonos voice enabled products. However, there are certain Alexa features that only echos currently do, such as calling/messaging and intercom. From my personal perspective, I didn't really miss anything by switching from echos to Sonos Ones and Beams....just got much much better audio.

edit: Yea, what Keith said.