Answered

SONOS ONE with Alexa in France

• 2 March 2018
  • 7 replies

I live in France but am a native English speaker. I have a SONOS system with a several speakers and it works fine. I would like to add a SONOS ONE with Alexa to my system. SONOS ONE with Alexa is not yet available in France as it is currently undergoing translation into French. I would like an English-language Alexa, NOT French. If I purchase a SONOS ONE with Alexa in the UK (or USA) is there any reason why it would not work in France?
icon

Best answer by Miles P 7 March 2018, 11:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello rosbif78, welcome to the community. Alexa is only currently available on Sonos in the countries listed here. As Amazon adds support for more regions and full support for Amazon voice services in those regions, we will work with them to bring that support to Sonos. In the meantime, Alexa will not work with Sonos outside of the supported regions.
Miles,
Thank you for the information. Would you please confirm that when Alexa support for Sonos One is available in France, I will be able to use English with it? When do you think Alexa support for Sonos One will be available in France?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, rosbif78. Answering on behalf of Miles, here. Unfortunately we do not have those details just yet as they have not been decided. As soon as they have, we will be sure to let our customers know. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Hi Any update on this issue. I live in france and would like to add this system to my alexa
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
This is actually a Amazon issue. Until amazon release the French support. There is little Sonos can do. The only way you can currently get alexa to work is hide the network behind a vpn. But it won't be able to access any content from the French amazon. It will think that it is in the country your vpn saids it is.
French announcement for Amazon has just been made, it should be ok in a few days.

Until then you can use Alexa in english or german even even when you live in France on your Sonos One.
Change your country in your Sonos registration profile to Germany or UK.
Install tha Alexa app on your phone from uk or us app store (you need an account there too).
Proceed with regular install.
Enjoy.
French announcement for Amazon has just been made, it should be ok in a few days.

Until then you can use Alexa in english or german even even when you live in France on your Sonos One.
Change your country in your Sonos registration profile to Germany or UK.
Install tha Alexa app on your phone from uk or us app store (you need an account there too).
Proceed with regular install.
Enjoy.

Hello Olivier,

Alexa is actually already available in France for people who already have Alexa enabled devices. I've been using my Sonos One in France with a US registered account for a while now, and I've tried to switch to French but it looks like French support will only arrive later on Sonos.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong while trying to switch languages, but I've only been able to change the apps language and skills market to French while the speaker will remain in English, causing skills from the French market to be unavailable (which seems to be confirming that English and German support in France will take longer to arrive)