Answered

Sonos One with Alexa and Ring2 doorbell

• 25 February 2018
  • 9 replies

Alexa works great on my Sonos One but was wondering will it connect to Ring Doorbell 2 and per the amazon echo etc and allow voice control. Anybody had issues or any tips would be great before I purchase it.
icon

Best answer by Master T 26 February 2018, 20:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Don't specifically know about the Ring Doorbell 2 but I can control all of my Smart Home devices (Apart from my Amazon Fire TV box as it isn't yet supported in the UK) via my Sonos One.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
There is currently no Ring skill for Alexa that will allow you to communicate thru the Ring doorbell via the Sonos One. The Ring skill that is available works only with the Echo Show and Fire TV.
Alexa works great on my Sonos One but was wondering will it connect to Ring Doorbell 2 and per the amazon echo etc and allow voice control. Anybody had issues or any tips would be great before I purchase it.
Dot 3rd gen announce "someone is at the door".
I am hoping to use my beam to do the same - since these are integrated with alexa and I have it in the rear of the house
We just got the Ring2 and now our Sonos One keeps cutting out!!! So frustrating. Is this coincidence or is the Ring2 interfering with Sonos One?
Badge +2
Ring & Alexa work together as of announcement I found in google:
https://www.protectamerica.com/home-security-blog/in-review/alexa-expands-addition-amazons-ring-alarm_29898

I've installed "Ring Skills" and use Echo Dot for my referbished Play1's but got a Sonos ONE for the holidays and cant seem to make it pull in the Ring Doorbell2's notification/chime to my ONE unit. Seems if it works well with Echo DOT and my ONE interfaces with Alexa just fine directly (sans an Echo link) to order up my SirisXM programming then shouldnt One work same as Echo DOT to chime my doorbell like my DOT does?

Anyone know how to make this so............Or has no one coded to get ONE to act the same as Echo DOT with a Ringdoorbell2 chime notifications?
what is nuts is that i have had it happen once or twice on my beam and i cannot for the life of me figure out how it happened and why it wont each time. I want it every time and its a pain that it wont since i keep the beam on the far end of the house. and on the same side a sonos one gen2.
i keep the alexa-mic on now for those moments when it comes thru. i want to do away with the dots in the other rooms and would add more playOne gen2 in their respective places.

a home with:
playbar+sub+play3 (L/R)
play1 x2
playOne(gen2)
play5(gen2)
beam
boost

kinda feel some consistency in a product's features should be present given all the money spent; having to supplement the house with 3 echo dots. 🙄

from sonos (alexa):
can read off Nest temp and settings, etc.
arm & disarm blink cam system,
start the car without problems,
internal announcements,
and everything else EXCEPT say, "motion detected at the door" or "someone is at the door" every time like any native amazon products would.

what kind of world do we live in? haha
i am going to root more into the alexa app itself to see if i cant find something there.
Badge +2
@w012dUP
I'd read somewhere in the forum others have found the beam communicates better w/ring & alexa than ONE. I also await code guys to integrate ONE similarly. Ring support is aware that they are not fully integrated w/sonos.....seems growing pains still affecting amazon grand whole home plans...we await....
Does this functionality between Alexa (echo) and Ring only supported on Ring 2, or is it with Ring as well? Interesting, as I have a Ring but never really tried to integrate it with Alexa, other than display video on an echo show. I use the Ring chimes in my house to annouce when someone is at the door.
Badge +2
Does this functionality between Alexa (echo) and Ring only supported on Ring 2, or is it with Ring as well? Interesting, as I have a Ring but never really tried to integrate it with Alexa, other than display video on an echo show. I use the Ring chimes in my house to annouce when someone is at the door.

I only have Ring2 and when installing on new house my son in law found no ringer box and left for the day. I read about the Amazon buyout of Ring and found the Ring skill app. Now no need for chime or conventional doorbell ringer box as I pipe my doorbell.wav in via the echo; sadly ONE or even Play1 linked to echo/alexa will not play the doorbell chimes . But echo does and I use echo to enhance my ONE and Play1s with alexa voice controls. Also awaiting for my playbar to fully operate on my ONE with voice but happy enough to use the green/white button on top of ONE for the audio extension of my playbar to the kitchen in an open concept house with a LG 55" easily visible from the kitchen island; wife cant stand FOX news cranked up on the playbar during dinner.