Question

Sonos One w Alexa not the best

• 9 June 2019
  • 2 replies

I love Sonos products, but I’ve never experienced as much frustration as I have with the Sonos 1 with Alexa. It works fine for a couple of months, then one day the Alexa component stops working and I have to figure out what the issue is. It’s very frustrating.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I love Sonos products, but I’ve never experienced as much frustration as I have with the Sonos 1 with Alexa. It works fine for a couple of months, then one day the Alexa component stops working and I have to figure out what the issue is. It’s very frustrating.

Hi

My Alexa setup has been stable since I first installed it last year, so your issues are not normal. Stability issues may be caused by duplicate IP addresses across you home network, this is easy to resolve via your router settings page and reserving IP addresses for your key equipment, including Sonos - this is a good idea to do anyway. If you are unsure how to do this please let us know your router type and model number and we can walk you through the steps.

Can you confirm in a bit more detail what you mean by 'stops working'?
Anns333,

My own experience of 'Alexa on Sonos', is the same as UKMedia's. I currently use Alexa with Amazon Music Unlimited and Deezer HiFi and I find the service excellent, particularly when used with the 'Alexa Enabled Groups' for automatic ducking and grouping of Sonos rooms.

Its quite rare that Alexa fails to play requests from my wife and myself.

I do have the google assistant too in our home (albeit not on Sonos) and that also works well, particularly the Home Hub Display device in the Kitchen, which we find very useful.

Sometimes its a case of making sure there are no wireless interference issues in the home and that the voice services, actions, skills, rooms, groups and devices, are all setup correctly on the local network, particularly with unique names to identify the devices, rooms and groups.

I'm resident in the U.K. so no yet able to use Google Assistant on Sonos, but if it proves to be half as good as the Alexa integration and its grouping features, then I will be more than happy.