Sonos One vs. Sonos Play: 1 + Echo Dot

• 9 October 2018
  • 4 replies

So I got a Sonos One, thinking it be great with Alexa. I thereby added an Echo Dot to my collection, and I must say there is a big difference in functionality between an original Amazon device, and an "Alexa-supported" device. Front of mind I`m thinking about adding the Alexa device to a group in order to turn on / off lights by just saying "Alexa turn on lights". I would also like the ability to have multiroom-speakers by using Alexa, and being able to use Alexa routines without Alexa replying "Audio device in routines not supported on this device).

So I`ve been thinking. Should I return my Sonos One and get:
1) A Sonos Play:1 connected to a Echo Dot?
2) Ditch Sonos and get an Echo 2.gen instead?

I really like the sound quality in my Sonos One, but music is not my first priority. Smarthouse is and functionality is.

Perhaps the wrong forum, but I reckon there must be users here who have been trough the same thought process.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I got a Sonos One, thinking it be great with Alexa. I thereby added an Echo Dot to my collection, and I must say there is a big difference in functionality between an original Amazon device, and an "Alexa-supported" device. Front of mind I`m thinking about adding the Alexa device to a group in order to turn on / off lights by just saying "Alexa turn on lights". I would also like the ability to have multiroom-speakers by using Alexa, and being able to use Alexa routines without Alexa replying "Audio device in routines not supported on this device).

I really like the sound quality in my Sonos One, but music is not my first priority. Smarthouse is and functionality is.

Perhaps the wrong forum, but I reckon there must be users here who have been trough the same thought process.

Hi there,

Personally, I'm enjoying having both a Sonos One for music and most voice commands, while also having an Echo Dot for the more specific Alexa commands. It's easier to integrate a few Dots for extra coverage in the home where I might not always listen to music.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I have no Sonos products with built in Alexa, but five zones of Sonos and two echo dots. The versatility of this setup seems to be a good solution, although I must look up ducking again as I have seen there may be solutions to whole house ducking when talking to the dots and I haven't worked out how to solve that yet.

I have just discovered that I cannot include my Sonos One in Alexa Multiroom, which is a major disappointment as the One is at one end of an open space and I’m using my Echo Show at the other end. Without sound sync my Sonos One is useless; I will need to change to a Bose system that can be linked with with an Echo Input or Echo Dot. Why does Sonos and Amazon not resolve this issue?