Sonos One support for Alexa AudioPlayer interface

• 19 December 2017
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 2
Sonos One's integration with Alexa appears to not support the AudioPlayer interface. Our Alexa skill, "My Media for Alexa", uses this API to stream music, however, we see no requests being made by the Sonos One when we send an AudioPlayer Play command.

Please can Sonos advise whether this is a bug and/or when it this capability will be added to the Sonos One?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, My Media. Thanks for posting. While we plan to support all audio skills for Alexa, we have had reports of some audio skills not functioning. Our engineers have been made aware and are actively working on addressing this. Thank you for your patience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
The Alexa remote doesn't work with the Sonos skill either, for the same reason.
I found the following verbiage re MYMEDIA and ALEXA - eventually they will get it working: "Please note that the Sonos One does not currently support all the Alexa APIs required to run My Media for Alexa. As soon as Sonos improves support for the Audio Player API within the One then we will endeavour to ensure My Media for Alexa supports it. "
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi
I would like to add my support for this to be resolved. I bought a Sonos system specifically for the use case of streaming lossless quality music from my Synology DiskStation. I have zero interest in streaming mp3 quality audio from Amazon or any other online service. But I do want to add voice control using My Media.

So please Sonos, help us stream our own high quality music wherever we want it by fixing this issue
Yes, the Sonos Alexa skill was released four months ago. This functionality really should have been there on day one. A LOT of skills not functioning on the One due to this basic omission. The $49 Roav VIVA in my car has it, a third party product that’s newer than the One. Patience wearing a bit thin...
I'd like to add my support for this feature - the Echo DOT speakers are pretty basic, and I used to play all my music through the SONOS app directly, but having voice control enabled by MyMedia would mke it much more accessible - *if* it was enabled as described above.
It would be nice if this could happen before the loss of CR100s in April because it would open up some more alternatives for replacement strategies.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
It would be nice if this could happen before the loss of CR100s in April because it would open up some more alternatives for replacement strategies.

Gosh, I'd forgotten about the CR100. I didn't think it was even an option when I bought my first Sonos 7 years ago? I have always used my phones / tablets / PCs to control it. But My Media controlling my Sonos players off my Synology NAS drive media library would be perfect
I have the same problem.
When you ask Sonos One : to open Mymedia .It works correct , but nothing starts playing at all ?
No sound.
I have got other things not working with Sonos one , and working well with Alexa Echo.

This is not good Sonos !
If you want to keep the leading position, not only sell products but give SUPPPORT again SUPPORT.
That is how you keep customers buying your products.
It is not only the products where you buy for.
It is the support that counts to me and a lot more i think.

Is has been over 3 or 4 months now,and it is still not working ?
What the.....are you doing there then ?
Come on Sonos.
It takes to much time to solve things.
I noticed in other forums also the lack of a litte speed to solve problems.
I think you got more then 10 employees or so there ?

So solve problems people are talking about on this forum !.
It is for your own good.
So that we can say, Sonos is not only selling hardware , but is also giving perfect service.
Agree, it's ridiculous that Sonos still hasn't implemented this very basic feature, integral to dozens of Alexa skills. Please put this at the top of your to-do list, Sonos! Inexcusable that every other Alexa-enabled device supports this out of the box, except for Sonos. You really aren't being truthful about full Alexa support without this.
Behavior has changed with the 8.5 firmware, but this interface still isn’t working.
Yes, the Sonos Alexa skill was released four months ago. This functionality really should have been there on day one. A LOT of skills not functioning on the One due to this basic omission. The $49 Roav VIVA in my car has it, a third party product that’s newer than the One. Patience wearing a bit thin...

I don't know that this is exactly a fair comparison. I could be off on this, but the VIVA is connecting to the Alexa via your phone, which probably requires Amazon's alexa software to be up and running to function properly. In other words VIVA is just piggy backing off what Amazon has already implemented themselves on your phone, not using a 3rd party API as Sonos has to do. That cuts down on the required development, since the VIVA can do basically everything you can do through Alexa on your phone by default.

I don't know that this is exactly a fair comparison. I could be off on this, but the VIVA is connecting to the Alexa via your phone, which probably requires Amazon's alexa software to be up and running to function properly. In other words VIVA is just piggy backing off what Amazon has already implemented themselves on your phone, not using a 3rd party API as Sonos has to do. That cuts down on the required development, since the VIVA can do basically everything you can do through Alexa on your phone by default.

Unlikely. It does a lot of vehicle-specific things, like interacting with Google Maps, which definitely aren’t being done via the Alexa app. I haven’t tried uninstalling the Alexa app on my phone, but don’t recall it being a pre-requirement. The VIVA app has its own Alexa GUI, and doesn’t launch the Alexa app. Besides, Amazon publishes full documentation for its Alexa APIs. It’s obvious that they want third parties to use them, not the Alexa app, which appears not to have any public API.
I would like to add my support for this. I bought a new Sonos One for this but can't use it. Should be made clear on adverts that you can't play local music.
Sonos One's integration with Alexa appears to not support the AudioPlayer interface. Our Alexa skill, "My Media for Alexa", uses this API to stream music, however, we see no requests being made by the Sonos One when we send an AudioPlayer Play command.

Please can Sonos advise whether this is a bug and/or when it this capability will be added to the Sonos One?

Thanks

A bunch of skills were added today, perhaps they've finally enabled the AudioPlayer interface, not sure. Hopefully you can check your skill, the folks who still play from their NAS will be interested...
Please implement asap
Userlevel 2
So we have retested My Media for Alexa with a Sonos One and it now *almost* works which is promising! Sonos One devices now advertise via AVS that they support the AudioPlayer interface and play mp3 files fine, however they do not reliably send AVS notification messages on track events, eg PlaybackStarted, PlaybackNearlyFinished, etc this means we can’t queue up the next song to play. This seems to be intermittent behaviour as we did see the notification messages once whilst testing! Also the interface doesn’t seem to support m4a containers?

Not sure who in Sonos can help resolve these issues? Happy to work with you guys and give you some Alexa intent references.... please email us at support@mymediaalexa.com
I use My Media for Alexa to listen to my music library through an Echo Dot using voice commands and it works perfectly. However, when I try and use my two Sonos Ones the music starts properly but after the first song finishes it repeats endlessly. If I ask Alexa via the Sonos One to stop the playback, I get the reply "Sorry I'm having trouble with accessing your My Media skill right now." If I ask Alexa to skip to the next song I get "Your device didn't send a valid playback token. Please contact support."

Since the skill works perfectly with Amazon products but not with the Sonos Ones my only options are to either return my two Sonos Ones and replace them with Amazon speakers which I know will work, or hope that Sonos fixes their problem with the Sonos Ones. I like the sound of the Sonos Ones but right now they are unsuitable for what I want them to do and I'll return them if I have to.
Userlevel 2
We have tried to raise this formally with Sonos several times by email. We get an email back saying it's been forwarded to the Alexa team within Sonos, but no bug id, no way to check progress or follow up.

We've sent another mail but does anyone know anyway to formally raise bugs with Sonos other than emailing their developer feedback email address? Really want to get this working with Sonos but it's hard when there doesn't seem to be anybody willing to help at the Sonos end 😞