Sonos One...stop alexa wake sound?

• 24 October 2017
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi,

I can’t seem to find the setting anywhere so does anyone know where the setting is to stop the wake sound when calling Alexa on the sonos one?

Many thanks,

Dan

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Agreed, the "Start of Request" sound should be off by default. I find it quite annoying.
+1 a toggle for the wake sound would be appreciated
If you are listening to music when you say Alexa the lowered volume of the sound is enough for me as an indication that the wake word has been heard. Wake sound really not required
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I agree with you 100%...the sound is annoying and on the echo devices you can turn this off. The problem with this sound on is that it misses the full command as it doesn’t hear the full request as the sound plays. I REALLY want to be able to turn this off. I have to say the microphone light being on is also very annoying.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That's the same wake sound that Amazon's own devices use. Though Amazon does have a setting to disable the sound. Not sure why Sonos didn't include one as well.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Will this be a feature added...to turn off the sound? I have emailed support but no answer?

Since there isn't an obvious light change, the chirp is to let you know the Sonos One heard "Alexa".

You mean like the bright white light in the middle of the top of the thing lighting up when I say "Alexa"? Even if I've got the status light switched on it glows much brighter when you're talking to the thing.

Give us the ability to shut this silly sound off!
Userlevel 1
Yes the wake sound is really annoying. There needs to be a setting to turn it off.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
No setting for this that I can find, but I find the sound both annoying and unnecessary. I would definitely prefer to see this become an option. It's bad enough they added the wake sound, but what a strange and clunky choice. It sounds like an error tone.
Badge +1
I agree with you 100%...the sound is annoying and on the echo devices you can turn this off. The problem with this sound on is that it misses the full command as it doesn’t hear the full request as the sound plays. I REALLY want to be able to turn this off. I have to say the microphone light being on is also very annoying.

Totally agree with all points - i would prefer that the microphone light be lit only when not listening - ideally in red (if possible) to match the alexa devices.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Still no answer on this... Sonos still not replied to my email, tweet or Facebook message.
Userlevel 1
This is one of the 2 annoyances I have with the Sonos One right now. There needs to be an option to remove the wake sound!
Badge +1
Whew! Glad I didn't have to create this topic. Just got the ONE and feel slightly bummed that I was told ONLY 2 features of Echo were not available with ONE. I took that to mean skills. Big mistake. Anyway the wake sound is driving me nuts. I have to keep stopping and waiting for it to finish and spent way too much time trying to figure out how to kill it. Hurry please.
Whew! Glad I didn't have to create this topic. Just got the ONE and feel slightly bummed that I was told ONLY 2 features of Echo were not available with ONE. I took that to mean skills. Big mistake. Anyway the wake sound is driving me nuts. I have to keep stopping and waiting for it to finish and spent way too much time trying to figure out how to kill it. Hurry please.

Yeah, between this and the fact that it's so sensitive to background conversations (it activates constantly when nobody is saying "Alexa"), I couldn't take it any more. I called up Sonos today and started my RMA.

To be brutally honest, Sonos released an unfinished product in the Sonos One. How this thing made it out of their QA process without blocker PR's being raised over stuff like the overly-sensitive nature of its listening and the "bonk" every time you start talking to Alexa speaks to the (poor) quality of the resources they put on the job.

Their support even suggested I do the Alexa voice training procedure like you can do with an Echo. Oops, that's yet another unimplemented feature in the Sonos One.
By default it is turned off on Echo devices.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
@jgatie ... yeah, I get that. But I'm not usually one to leave any option untested. ?
Userlevel 2
Badge
RE: microphone light, simply use a black sharpie to mark over it. You can always wipe it off later...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Still no answer on this... Sonos still not replied to my email, tweet or Facebook message.
We don't have any specific plans announced on this one, but I'll make sure to pass your request on to the team. Since there isn't an obvious light change, the chirp is to let you know the Sonos One heard "Alexa".
Badge +1
yikes - now makes me wonder if i made an expensive mistake
I found that my Sonos Ones are already listening when I use the wake word, so I know I can ask Alexa immediately and not have to wait for the ding. I wish we could turn off the annoying sound because usually it goes like this: "Alexa, lig(ding)hts on".
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Yes that is what I thought too...the mic light in red when not in use and not lit when in use. It was distracting in the Bedroom last night and I know I could have turned it off but then it kinda defeats the object of it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
@MikeV ... You're right, that is the same sound. Funny, having owned several echos and dots from the earliest releases, I don't remember having ever heard it before or remember turning it off, but the option is there and I must have used it. Still seems an odd choice of wake sound, but apparently that's on Amazon not Sonos. Nevertheless, I hope Sonos will give us the option to disable or change the wake sound.
I had an Echo Dot and Sonos Play:1 in my bedroom, I just replaced them with a Sonos One. Imagine how annoying that Bong will be when I ask what time it is in the night? That and the different wake word... all my Echo devices are set to "Echo" and now this must use a different one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Starting today with Sonos 10.0, you can go into the Sonos room settings in the Sonos app, and turn off the wake sound for Alexa on Sonos One and Sonos Beam speakers.