Answered

Sonos One Spotify Update

• 15 November 2017
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Will there be any other Sonos One updates with the Spotify release on December 21st? Or will it be strictly focused on Spotify? Just curious if any other new Alexa functions will be added.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 21 November 2017, 17:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
New functions can be added all the time, and since Alexa is cloud-based, it doesn't always require an update on your end.

Spotify was ready early, and we've just announced that Spotify for Alexa on Sonos is now ready to go and currently available.

We'll keep on adding to and improving Alexa on Sonos, so make sure you give a shout out if there's a particular feature you'd like to see added one day.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Thanks Ryan. Is there a reference on configuring Spotify somewhere?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have a look here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-play-spotify-6794540
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Hmmm ... really? Doesn't work on my system. Alexa app shows Sonos speaker as device, Selecting this device and going to the Spotify choice in Music, Video,Books returns App Support Unavailable. Asking 'Play my XX playlist on Sonos 2' returns 'I cannot find anything named Sonos ..' or something close.

Spotify is default. Tunein stations play okay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Have you tried discovering devices, castalla? (Sometimes that's needed to confirm the default music service).

If that doesn't do the trick, can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and post your confirmation number?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Devices discovered many times!

Your confirmation number is: 8114642.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That diagnostic came through corrupted, so this could just be an issue caused by some network trouble. Could you try rebooting all of your Sonos devices and when they're back up give this another test, and diagnostic if it fails?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Hope this one works

Your confirmation number is: 8114725.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks, that one went through just fine.

Can you double check that the Spotify credentials you have in your Sonos system are also the same ones added to your Alexa app? Both systems need to be using the same account.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Same account details. Just tried again - got reply from Alexa that playlist XX now playing on Sonos .... but no sound, and no changes to now playing in alexa app or sonos app displays
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That's a start. Can you send in a new diagnostic for me?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Here ....

Your confirmation number is: 8115008.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks. Are you able to use the Spotify app to play to your Sonos player? Can you test out the Spotify Connect there real quick?

If that doesn't work, can you reboot the router, and try again?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
update - playlist now working! Info displays in sonos app but not in alexa now playing

... and stops after 3 songs

Will confirm Connect
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Connect works ... retrying with alexa ....playing track 1 now ..... will it get past track 3 ???

update - yes queue still playing

Will test more & report back tomorrow.

Thanks for the support
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great to hear! Let us know how it goes, and enjoy the music! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Looking good ... no problems for several hours.
Hey guys, here is my experience until now with a Playbar and an Echo Dot:

I can now successfully launch playlists, songs and artists from Alexa. Awesome!

The thing that I found weird is this, previously when I put some music to play on my Playbar from Spotify (thru the app), I could just say "Alexa, next/previous song" or "Alexa, pause/resume" and it did the action on my Playbar.

After this last update, I need to add the speaker name to the actions otherwise Alexa would not pause/resume/next/previous/volume up/volume down. I have to say "Alexa pause Living Room" and etc...

Is this intented? Do someone else found this out too?

Thanks and keep up the updates.. I love my Playbar and hope I can expand my system.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Despite my misgivings about voice control, I have to admit that it works better than I expected!

One point: when I ask 'What's playing on Sonos?' back comes the answer 'XXX s playing on Sonos'. If I pause the stream and then ask, back comes the SAME answer - something like 'XXX is paused on SONOS' would be better, especially when the speaker and Alexa are in different rooms.

Possible?
Despite my misgivings about voice control, I have to admit that it works better than I expected!

One point: when I ask 'What's playing on Sonos?' back comes the answer 'XXX s playing on Sonos'. If I pause the stream and then ask, back comes the SAME answer - something like 'XXX is paused on SONOS' would be better, especially when the speaker and Alexa are in different rooms.

Possible?

Not possible. Alexa is not really querying the real-time state of the Sonos device. Sonos merely pushes the tags of the track to the cloud when a track change occurs. You can see this by playing a track, disconnecting the internet, then reconnect after a track change and ask what is playing. Alexa will answer with the track that was playing before the internet was disconnected.
Badge
@Ryan, my Sonos One Alexa isn't working with spotify either.
Badge
@Ryan, my Sonos One Alexa isn't working with spotify either. I've pretty much done everything I can think of, rebooted, logged out and in, re-applied my Spotify account. Spotify works through the apps no problem, it's when I ask Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have a look here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-play-spotify-6794540
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Ryan, my Sonos One Alexa isn't working with spotify either. I've pretty much done everything I can think of, rebooted, logged out and in, re-applied my Spotify account. Spotify works through the apps no problem, it's when I ask Alexa.

Did UKMedia's link above help?

Make sure you're using the same Spotify account on both Sonos and Alexa.