Answered

Sonos One - probably a daft question

• 16 February 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I already have a Sonos Playbar and have an interest in a Sonos One. However, I have zero interest in subscribing to a music service. I have thousands of my own tracks of music which resides on my NAS. From bits I have been reading on this forum am I to assume that I will not be able to say for example 'Alexa' play Sgt Pepper, at which point Alexa will be able to access my music library on the NAS and play said track?

Secondly, I also like local radio (UK). If I say Alexa play Radio X will the Radio X local radio channel then start to play through the One?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 16 February 2018, 21:08

Ah! so I could ask Alexa to access my favourite radio station, but the only way to play personal music from my NAS is to queue a selection of songs in the Sonos app first then get Alexa to play the entire queue, is that correct?

Sort of. You would initiate the queue from the Sonos app, then basic controls like Pause, Resume, Skip, Previous, and Volume Up/Down will work on the queue via Alexa. You can even ask "Alexa, what is playing?" and she will tell you the name of the track. But at this time, there is no facility for you to say "Alexa, play Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life from My Library in the Kitchen".
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

You are correct Alexa doesn't support the initialisation of locally stored music by voice but you can control by voice after you have initiated the music via the app.

If you local radio is available via TuneIn then this can be controlled via voice control. If you want me to check, let me know which Radio stations you listen to and I'll test for you.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi and thanks for the prompt reply. I have checked Tunein and BBC Local Radio is available. However, I believe you need to subscribe to Tunein? I was hoping for simple free access.

I assume to play from my NAS with voice I would have to queue the songs in the Sonos app first, which is a rather inelegant solution.
Hi and thanks for the prompt reply. I have checked Tunein and BBC Local Radio is available. However, I believe you need to subscribe to Tunein? I was hoping for simple free access.

I assume to play from my NAS with voice I would have to queue the songs in the Sonos app first, which is a rather inelegant solution.

There is no subscription for TuneIn (even for those who want it). All TuneIn content is no charge.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Timpan1, I believe your understanding of controlling your NAS library with voice commands is correct, but I have no experience, just the words of many on here.
Regarding radio, Alexa can sort that out no problem, although if you want Radio X then ask for "Radio X UK" or you will get a French station! No subscriptions required for TuneIn, as stated above.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ah! so I could ask Alexa to access my favourite radio station, but the only way to play personal music from my NAS is to queue a selection of songs in the Sonos app first then get Alexa to play the entire queue, is that correct?

Sort of. You would initiate the queue from the Sonos app, then basic controls like Pause, Resume, Skip, Previous, and Volume Up/Down will work on the queue via Alexa. You can even ask "Alexa, what is playing?" and she will tell you the name of the track. But at this time, there is no facility for you to say "Alexa, play Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life from My Library in the Kitchen".
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks jgatie for fleshing out the explanation. I do wonder if Alexa will ever be able to play one's favourite music folders or at least receive the development required.

It will be interesting to see if Google Assistant will be more resourceful, because whenever I see these two assistants go head to head Google Assistant appears to be more accomplished.
Thanks jgatie for fleshing out the explanation. I do wonder if Alexa will ever be able to play one's favourite music folders or at least receive the development required.

It will be interesting to see if Google Assistant will be more resourceful, because whenever I see these two assistants go head to head Google Assistant appears to be more accomplished.

The CEO said in a podcast on Feb 8 that they are looking to implement Alexa control of local libraries and services not directly supported by Alexa, like Google Play Music or Apple Music.

As to Google Assistant being more resourceful, not necessarily so. It, like Alexa, only natively support a few music services. Alexa has Pandora, iHeart, TuneIn, Amazon Music and Spotify. Google has the same, except it has Google Play Music instead of Amazon Music.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm strictly Google Play music for the Cloud, though I do have iTunes on my PC as well as Synology for the NAS.