Question

Sonos One or Bose Sound touch 10

• 25 October 2017
  • 19 replies

I was looking at the Sonos one since it has Alexa integrated and Google assistant might come in the future. But i only have free music services and no paid/premium subscriptions. I was wondering if its still worth getting the Sonos One or consider Bose Sound touch 10 with Amazon echo dot (amounts to similar price) which adds Bluetooth and Aux input.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

IMO, using Alexa to decide between these options is a bad idea. Decide what speaker meets your needs best if Alexa wasn't there and then evaluate the advantages of Alexa for it.
Consider the Echo too, in just the same way, as a speaker with Bluetooth.
Userlevel 2
The bose sound touch 10 does not even come close to sounding as good as as the Sonos one or the Sonos play 1.
I was not using Alexa to decide. Instead of getting Play 1, Sonos One looked more appealing due to Alexa.
Leaving Alexa out of the picture, what are the free music services supported on Sonos.
Tune In Radio.
Pandora, Slacker in the US. There are others. But honestly, if playing music for free is your biggest concern and you aren't going to use your own music library, then the advantages of Sonos are never going to win. It may sound better, have better software, integrate with voice better, offer more services, have better reliability, etc. but I've found those who balk at paying $10 a month more than likely see that as trumping everything else, and are not going to be happy. Horses for courses.
I do have lot of music stored on a WD MyCloud NAS device. is that supported ?
Yes it is. Alexa won't start it though, but subsequent commands will work.
Userlevel 2
Amazon prime music (free version if you’re a prime member) should work with Sonos one.
yes i do have Amazon prime music. .. thanks guys for all the replies..
Userlevel 2
I have both the Sonos one and Sonos play 1. They both sound great! I would go with the Sonos one, it’s the same price and the AI features will only get better over time.
With NAS content and Amazon Prime music, Sonos One is almost a no brainer.
Read this though: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/microphone-sensitivity-for-the-alexa-wake-word-is-low-6792706
Keeping in mind.. if you desire stereo sound from either the Play:1 or Sonos One, you have to have a matching pair. You can not mix a Play:1 with a Sonos One for a stereo pair.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Keeping in mind.. if you desire stereo sound from either the Play:1 or Sonos One, you have to have a matching pair. You can not mix a Play:1 with a Sonos One for a stereo pair.

I still don't understand their thoughts on this. I can see the technical reason for having both channels as the same device, but why on earth would you want 2 Alexa devices 8 to 10 feet apart from each other? Also, they look different. So wouldn't look right as a stereo pair.
I couldn’t agree more. I also can’t imagine the Alexa version having the same quality as the original play:1. Quality had to be sacrificed to keep the same price point in my opinion. Which could also explain why they’re appearance is different, and can’t sync with a play:1 as a stereo pair (difference in sound). Either way, I’ll stick with the play:1 series and purchase Alexa on eBay for $20 if I need her assistance.
Quality had to be sacrificed to keep the same price point in my opinion. Which could also explain why they’re appearance is different, and can’t sync with a play:1 as a stereo pair (difference in sound). Either way, I’ll stick with the play:1 series and purchase Alexa on eBay for $20 if I need her assistance.
The last bit is a good idea and even more so at this time, when there are complaints that the mic in the Sonos One needs to be shouted at for Alexa to respond.
But it isn't correct to draw any conclusion of sound quality from the price point of the Sonos One. Sonos may be making less profit on it than on the play 1, but not by much seeing how cheap electronic parts are these days when bought in bulk and it isn't as if the profits on the play 1 would have been small to start with. So they must have taken a pricing policy decision for the Sonos One that also made commercial sense to them.
Not disagreeing with your point; however, not only having to supply the extra electronics for the device, royalties to utilize Alexa, there profit margins would be much less than a play:1. As a high end player, something has to sacrifice. Besides that, there’s no other explanation why the Sonos One wouldn’t be compatible with a play:1 as a stereo pair, or be cosmetically different if sound quality wasn’t effected. It would make more sense to duplicate the play:1 with Alexa, and touch controls with a price of $249. Either way, it’s a nice add on, and I plan to check it out at some point.

Why in blue blazes does this matter to anyone who is just starting out with Sonos? They can buy two Ones for the same price. Are the dozen or so threads about not being able to pair the two not enough that you have to shoehorn it in here?

OP, ignore the nonsense about pairing with a Play:1. It doesn't matter to you, because you have no existing units, so you can buy two like pairs and not know the difference.
Userlevel 2
I have both the one and the play 1 and I’m unable to notice a difference in sound quality. They both sound great!

In regards to the play 1/ dot combo, keep in mind that only music/podcasts that are available within the Sonos app will play through the Sonos speaker. All other voice commands you give the dot will play through the dots speaker (ie: weather, flash briefing, sports update, etc).