Sonos One on Echo buttons

• 1 September 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
Does Sonos One works with Echo buttons?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 September 2018, 17:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Those pico remotes use lutron's 'Clear Connect' protocol to connect to the Lutron hub, which then connects to Sonos over wifi.

Echo buttons are completely different, designed for family type games (think Simon, trivial pursuit). As Ken pointed out, they connect to Echos through Bluetooth, and therefore would not work with Sonos alexa enabled devices, and probably anything else but echos.

I actually got the buttons on prime day, and was initially rather impressed with them. The games are fun for families and such. However, I've since found that it's incredibly difficult to get all the buttons connected to an echo at ounce. Perhaps it's my fault as I actually want to connect and disconnect the buttons to different echos, but it really shouldn't be this difficult. The devices appear to need to be removed from one echo before they can be paired with another. As well, once they are paired, they don't always seem to have a connection properly. It's at the point now where I don't use the buttons as I don't want to spend 30 minutes setting in up before use, if I can get it working at all.
Not sure what you’re actually asking. A Sonos One can be part of any network that has any type of Alexa devices in it, all will work mostly the same. There are some limitations to the Sonos One, though. I don’t think it does drop in. Don’t use that one myself, it may have changed.
I’m sure they do not work with Sonos, as echo buttons require Bluetooth connectivity and Sonos does not support that type of connection.
Badge +1
simply, if I buy echo buttons, will I be able to connect and use it with my sonos one?
Badge +1
thanks a lot Ken
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I use Lutron Caséta Pico remotes for all my Sonos speakers. Easy off/on at the touch of a button..

http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/sonos.aspx
Badge +1
@k9kids, how about echo buttons? did you own this and tried this with Caseta?
Badge +1
thanks melvimbe for a very helpful insight.
I was just wondering about this.
I have an echo which i use to control my kitchen sonos speakers, mostly with the command:

"Alexa, play bbc 6 music in kitchen"

Was thinking i could use an echo button and program it to just perform this action.

Also worried the battery life wont be great if i want to leave it on.