Sonos One not recognising Spotify or TuneInRadio

• 19 January 2019
  • 25 replies

Badge
Hello community

I have:

1 x One w. Alexa in the kitchen.
2 x Play 1's and a Playbar in living room, and
2 x Play 1s and 1 x Connect in dining room.

I have installed an Echo Dot in living room, and synced so it can play the radio and Spotify through my speakers. Great.

However, now the Sonos One in the kitchen is not connecting to services like Spotify or TuneIn Radio. So, when asked to "play radio", it tells me "sorry, that device is offline'". Or, when asked to "play a song from Spotify" it tells me to "link to Spotify in your premium account".

Im stumped.

I want to keep the set up but also want to be able to instruct Alexa to play radio when cooking in the kitchen for example. Alexa still works and it can tell me the weather forecast for example, but I can't figure out how to get Spotify and TuneIn linked to the kitchen speaker, while keeping the same set up on the Echo Dot in the living room.

Can any kind soul in the community help....?

Thanks

John

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello there. Thank you for raising this issue. The first step is to open the Alexa App and remove the Sonos Skill and then re-Enable. If that doesn’t work, please see this thread here. Failing all of that, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Please let us know how you get on. Many thanks in advance.
Badge
Thanks Edward

I followed both instructions: first removed the skill and re-Enabled, then followed the thread link instruction.

I've factory reset my One, then set up my system again, but still I'm unable to play TuneIn Radio or Spotify.

So I'm asking play radio, confirm from TuneIn, and it says 'sorry, that device if offline' : with Spotify, it's asking my to connect my premium account in the Alexa app, which I have done.

This all used to work fine, until I added an Echo Dot to the mix. The Echo Dot was turned off throughout the above actions.

How can this be fixed? It's really frustrating and the Sonos One is not doing what it's supposed to.

PS - my diagnostic number is: 599805069

Thanks in advance
John
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Edward

I followed both instructions: first removed the skill and re-Enabled, then followed the thread link instruction.

I've factory reset my One, then set up my system again, but still I'm unable to play TuneIn Radio or Spotify.

So I'm asking play radio, confirm from TuneIn, and it says 'sorry, that device if offline' : with Spotify, it's asking my to connect my premium account in the Alexa app, which I have done.

This all used to work fine, until I added an Echo Dot to the mix. The Echo Dot was turned off throughout the above actions.

How can this be fixed? It's really frustrating and the Sonos One is not doing what it's supposed to.

PS - my diagnostic number is: 599805069

Thanks in advance
John

Hi John

I suspect that you may have duplicate devices names, please see these steps:

Sorry for the long post:

1/ Duplicate device names - Alexa prefers that names for Devices, Groups and Scenes are unique,
1.1/ Please open up the Alexa App>Smart Home and make a note of any duplicate device names;
1.2/ You can then change them in the source app. e.g. Use the Sonos App to change the name of Sonos players. (I personally use the naming standard Room Name + Device type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, Lounge Sonos, etc)
1.3/ Once you have changed any duplicate names then please open the Alexa App on a Browser (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or https://alexa.amazon.com)>Smart Home>Devices and select 'Forget All' followed by 'Discover'. NOTE: This will remove ALL Actions from ALL Alexa Routines! (Only the Browser version has this functionality.)

2/ Some form of Account Linking or Authorisation has not completed successfully. There are a number of causes for this and it's best to try these steps 1 at a time and test before moving on to the next step if the problem persists:
2.1/ Open the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable' followed by 'Enable';
2.2/ Ensure that you don't have multiple Amazon accounts logged into different Apps on your device, as this can confuse the Amazon Authorisation. If yes, then please log out of the other accounts and then complete step 2.1 again;
2.3/ If the problem still persists, please logout of all Amazon accounts then select the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable. Now power down all Sonos devices for 10 secs, allowing for any wired devices to boot before booting the remaining Sonos players. Now log back into the Alexa App>Skills>Sonos and 'Enable'

3/ If the problem persists then an entire reset of the Authorisation & Account Linking process is required:
3.1/ In the Alexa app, select Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and then 'Disable';
3.2 In the Alexa app (Browser version), select 'Smart Home>Devices'. Now select 'Forget All' at the bottom of the screen;
3.3/ In the Sonos app (Android or iOS), select Settings>Room Settings and for each of the Sonos One's sign into 'Voice Services' and select 'Remove Amazon Alexa from this Room';
3.4/ If you have any wired Sonos devices, please power down for 10 secs and then switch on and wait for it to boot;
3.5/ Now power down all other Sonos Players for 10 secs then switch them back on and wait for them to boot;
3.6/ In the Sonos app, Select Manage>Add a player or sub' and add the Sonos One's again. This will complete the set-up process again;
3.7/ In the Alexa app, select Skills>Your Skills and ensure the Sonos skill is 'Enabled', if not please 'Enable';
3.8/ In the Alexa app , select Smart Home>Devices>Discover. Ensure that your Sonos One's are displayed correctly and not shown as 'Off Line'.
3.9/ Also check one last time that there are no devices with the same name. Remember, if there is a need to rename any then you'll need to select 'Discover' again.

Let us know how you get on.
Badge
Thanks again Edward.
Followed all the instructions carefully and alas - same issue, My Sonos One is asking me to link Spotify and TuneIn is offline.
Ready to sell the Sonos One....this is not good!
What else do you think could work?
Thanks
John 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks again Edward.
Followed all the instructions carefully and alas - same issue, My Sonos One is asking me to link Spotify and TuneIn is offline.
Ready to sell the Sonos One....this is not good!
What else do you think could work?
Thanks
John :(

Hi John

Where are you located? Has this ever worked? If you open the Alexa App>Settings is your Sonos One shown as Off-Line?
Badge
Hi, I'm located in the UK. Yes, it worked when I bought it. Stopped working when I introduced an Echo Dot and set this up to play via living room speakers. My Sonos One in kitchen then stopped the connection to Spotify and TuneIn....
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
...and you've checked that you don't have any duplicate device names across Devices, Groups, and Routines? If you open the Alexa App>Music>Spotify>[Please select your Sonos One] and then click 'Go to Spotify App', does it take you to the correct Spotify account?
Badge
Yes checked for duplicate names across Devices, Groups and Routines in there Alexa App (i0s and web). Both click through to my Spotify account.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
And did you follow the steps in my long post above, section 3?
Badge
Yes, I did, diligently.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That's strange then. Can you remove the Spotify account from Alexa App and re-add?
Badge
Ok - when you describe the App do you mean mobile app or via the web on laptop?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It shouldn't make any difference.
Badge
Ok, thanks, done that. Still getting " to play Spotify link your premium account using the Alexa app" and " BBC Radio 6 Music from TuneIn. Sorry, that device is offline".
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you open the Alexa App>Settings and check if you Sonos One is shown as Off-Line? If it is, can you please power it down for 5 secs and then switch back on.

Edit:
I've just checked those two commands and they both work for me - sorry not much help to you!
Badge
it appears to be online. The only one that is showing offline, is my Echo Dot. What in my mind appears somehow to have caused this problem in the first place....Speaker was working fine and connecting to both services, after I included Echo Dot and set this to also play from TuneIn and Spotfiy (set up in living room), the Sonos One (kitchen) is now not playing ball.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you power down the Echo Dot and then open the Alexa App>Smart Home and click 'Forget' next to your Echo Dot. Please retest?
Badge
Hi. sos that didn't work. I have now powered up my Echo Dot, and when asking to play BBC Radio 6 from TuneIn in the Kitchen, it works! What's now not working is asking the same thing on the Sonos One itself. It seems as though the Echo Dot somehow is the master device....
Badge
I have the Echo Dot in the living room, and when there's no music playing I want to be able to give the same instruction to the Sonos One in the kitchen.....
Badge
Also when the music is playing in the kitchen Sonos, the speaker is ignoring me when asking it to turn off. But when I ask the Echo Dot to 'turn off music in kitchen" it works.....
Badge
So, the Echo Dot has somehow is/has overridden the Sonos One's capability to link to services/skills, either via a setting, or some malfunction in code.....Sonos and Amazon are not talking to each other. Turning my collection of Sonos on an off, enabling and disabling, factory resetting, etc - none of this is working, and is limiting the apparent capability of the speaker
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay, well that is some small progress, can you now disable the Sonos skill again and then Re-Enable?
Badge
Thanks. Yep done that again and still the Sonos One is not playing ball....TuneIn device is still off line....
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In that case, can you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread - or you can contact tech support via Facebook or Twitter. If you post the number here it won't be looked at until Monday.
Badge
Thanks UK Media, I have already submitted a diagnostic, see the number further up in the correspondence chain....but happy to do so again.