Question

Sonos One - No support for Echo/Alexa Routines?

• 6 January 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
  • Enthusiast I
  • 98 replies
Added a Sonos One to replace an Echo Dot in the bedroom today, but surprised to find (unless I'm missing something) that Alexa routines don't appear to be supported. I have a 'good night' routine for example that turns off all the lights and responds in a particular way. Within the configuration of the routine, the Sonos One is not available as a speaker from which the routine can be requested.

Are Sonos speakers only given limited access to Alexa functionality, or is this forthcoming at some point?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
At this point in time Sonos players can't be included within Routines. This may well be included as Amazon have released the ability to include 3rd party speakers but no commitment on time as of yet.
I am able to run routines through my Sonos One. For instance when I go to bed I say “Alexa, good night” and she shuts off a bunch of lights that I have programmed. I did have to run the discovery function in the app for it to find all of my devices, and I have to rerun it any time I add a new one. I run a wink system for most of my devices but some are stand alone. All of the devices do have the appropriate skill available within Alexa which I added first. The only thing I can’t do, which I hope is coming, is actually turn on or off my Sonos. I would like to be able to start Spotify to a specific playlist when I run my “Alexa, good morning”, routine that turns on all my lights.
When i first connected my sonos one i replaced an echo dot in the kitchen. i have a "kitchen off" and "kitchen on" scene set in smartthings to turn on/off all the kitchen lights. the echo dot worked perfectly and when first connecting my sonos one for about 5-6 days. then that function stopped and when you say "kitchen off" alexa comes back with "kitchen doesnt support that". i i tried renaming the sonos one from kitchen to "food" but that still doesnt work. now all my echo dot devices say kitchen doesnt support that.
i think this is related to sonos first being registered as the kitchen device.
any thoughts here? thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
When i first connected my sonos one i replaced an echo dot in the kitchen. i have a "kitchen off" and "kitchen on" scene set in smartthings to turn on/off all the kitchen lights. the echo dot worked perfectly and when first connecting my sonos one for about 5-6 days. then that function stopped and when you say "kitchen off" alexa comes back with "kitchen doesnt support that". i i tried renaming the sonos one from kitchen to "food" but that still doesnt work. now all my echo dot devices say kitchen doesnt support that.
i think this is related to sonos first being registered as the kitchen device.
any thoughts here? thanks.

Hi

Can you carry out these step:

1/ Open the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices and check for any additional duplicate names and correct them in the appropriate app - I personally use a naming standard of Room Name + Device Name. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc
2/ Open the PC version of the Alexa App (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or https://alexa.amazon.com) and select Smart Home>Devices>Forget All (WARNING: If you have created any Alexa Routines, then this will remove ALL Actions from ALL Routines!)
3/ Open the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices>Discover - this should remove any confusion over Device Names
4/ If you still have problems, please open the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and then 'Disable', followed by 'Enable'.

Let us know how you get on.
Does anyone have an update to expected time Alexa will allow Sonos to play routines with Spotify requests? Would love to be able to include my sleep playlist in my nightly routine when going to sleep at night, much appreciated..
This used to work and now does not. I got a Sonos one when they first released and I was able to make a "routine" called "goodnight" it shut off the lights in the house, turned the TV off (via harmony hub) and would start a station on the One in the bedroom but recently the Alexa app has changed and I replaced my old modem connected to an airport extreme with an xfinity gigabit modem/wifi device and now if I try to run the same routine I get " alexa does not support" message. I was able to work around this by creating a scene in my harmony hub that did the same thing and then ask Alexa to "turn on bedtime" and it would shut down the lights and turn the tv off etc. Would be nice though if Routine support was fully functional hopefully it will be in time.
I understand that I can't get the ALEXA Routines to Work on a SONOS ONE.. I only have the ONE , but if i get an ECHO can I set up the ROUTINES on the ECHO then pair the SONOS ONE with the ECHO? Will it play on e the ONE?