Answered

Sonos One Networking

• 28 October 2017
  • 9 replies

Got my Sonos One this week, and having occasional problems with connectivity. I have a question ...

Does the Sonos One work entirely through the Sonos mesh network, or does it use the normal WiFi as well? I ask because after setting it up I moved it to an area in the house that has limited WiFi signal, but has good Sonos mesh signal - it's about 5-6m line of sight form a Play:5.

Thanks,
Peter
icon

Best answer by MikeV 29 October 2017, 11:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you're using WiFi on any Sonos device, then ALL Sonos devices will attempt to use WiFi. SonosNet will override the WiFi setting if you have at least one Sonos device wired to your network, and will be used by all Sonos devices.
OK, thanks. I have BRIDGE hard-wired to my router, so all should be running off SonosNet then.

My Q was really about the Alexa functions of the One - does Alexa communicate through the SonosNet as well? (Should have been more specific - sorry).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you select Help-About My Sonos System. If you have a 0 against the WM setting then you are using the Sonos mesh. If you have a different setting then remove the Wi-Fi credentials and that should sort it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
My Q was really about the Alexa functions of the One - does Alexa communicate through the SonosNet as well? (Should have been more specific - sorry).
Yes, the Alexa functions of the Sonos One are part of the speaker and have the same connectivity as the rest of the speaker. They wouldn't be separate.
Thank you!
If you select Help-About My Sonos System. If you have a 0 against the WM setting then you are using the Sonos mesh. If you have a different setting then remove the Wi-Fi credentials and that should sort it.

How?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4284/~/removing-wi-fi-network-information-from-sonos
Thanks. Since I have 2 ones and a Playbar I can't do it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can remove WiFi credentials if you have one Sonos unit hooked to router as your using sonosnet not the WiFi.