Answered

Sonos One/Move support for Alexa AudioPlayer interface

Sonos One/Move integration with Alexa appears to not support the AudioPlayer interface, at least not fully. The Alexa skill, "My Media for Alexa", uses this API to stream music, however, when playing a list of songs, Sonos plays only the first one in loop. Asking Alexa to play next song works, so it seems it is the play from one to another that does not work correctly.

I contact Sonos Web support and basically the answer was that Sonos does not support 3rd party Alexa skills. This is well and good but for example Amazon echo support this skill fully.

So it would be great that Sonos is looking to fix that as "My Media for Alexa” skill is the only one works fully by using a local music library (the Plex skill is very buggy in comparison).

So please Sonos, look into that

icon

Best answer by Corry P 13 May 2021, 18:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Thank you very much for the reply. I found strange that Amazon could put some restriction on how to use its Alexa service on 3rd party devices. Anyway thank you again for the reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @cpadeste 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! Thank you for your feedback.

Alexa on an Echo or Dot, manufactured by Amazon, is not the same as Alexa running on a third-party device, such as on Sonos. This is a restriction made by Amazon, and with that restriction and the difference in how the two types of Alexa devices operate, some Alexa Skills will not function properly, or at all, on Sonos. Add to that the fact that Alexa on Sonos is still Amazon’s software. Therefore, we cannot support Alexa beyond ensuring your Sonos device is able to hear you and communicate on your network and with the Alexa servers, via ours.

We are always looking to improve our software and the features available to you as a Sonos customer, so please rest assured that we are constantly working on improvements or alternatives - this sentence is not rote, but applies to your feedback in particular.