Sonos One - Bitterly dissapointed. Return or investment for the future?

• 11 July 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi,

Normally I would not have a title as negative as this but I'm an hour in to opening my birthday present this morning - a Sonos One and rewind a few years when I was a little more hot headed I think it would already be out of the window.

It's taken me two restarts to get it working but am experiencing the following problems:
1. I can control volume in individual rooms but not group volume. I currently have three different speakers in one room so this is problem for me.
2. It doesn't seem to recognize half the names of my play lists
3. When asking it to shuffle a currently playing playlist it switches a new recommended playlist from Amazon

Are these all 'teething' problems and should I stick with it having now invested in one (excuse the pun) or send back and get a Play 1?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Because of Alexa voice recognition problems on wake up word, I hate having to shout twice sometimes 3 times for Alexa to recognise me. Also she miss hears alot of my commands that my echo v2 has no problem understanding. This unit is very stressful and will be returning this week. Sonus have known about this issue for over a year, so I have no faith they will be able to fix it. Shame. A real shame. Don't buy a sonus one if you want a relaxing existence. Echo plus here we go!
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I must admit I never saw the point in voice control. Our One in the Kitchen is excellent though and don't know how I live without it!.

To be fair our whole Sonos system has been rock solid (Virgin Media SuperHub 2 Router).

Some of the app "updates" have been very questionable but on the whole it's all working very well at the moment!.
Badge +7
You're not on your own. I'm on my second Sonos One, both have gone faulty within a couple of months. In my opinions this product is not doing Sonos any favours. I've been extremely happy with the other Sonos components I've purchased but this seems like a bit of a dud.

Please submit a diagnostic code to Sonos tech if you've not done so already. Also, resurrecting a 9 month old thread may not be the most effective means of resolving your issue. Sonos One is a product that has led to a great deal of satisfaction for countless consumers, so it's a bit of an anomaly that you've had two fail. That said, no intention to undermine your frustration... just want to make sure you know how to best troubleshoot your issue(s).

As stated, it may have more to do with Alexa than anything else. Alexa can be a real wench sometimes.
I would add that the issues you are encountering seem to have to do mainly with the Alexa integration - the functionality of which will be in the hands of Amazon, for the most part.They wouldn't want a Sonos Player to work just as well as one of their own 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Your experience concerning faults is clearly very rare...

Agreed, I have 3 Ones on my system, all working flawlessly.
You're not on your own. I'm on my second Sonos One, both have gone faulty within a couple of months. In my opinions this product is not doing Sonos any favours. I've been extremely happy with the other Sonos components I've purchased but this seems like a bit of a dud.Your experience concerning faults is clearly very rare as even on this forum - which by definition is a place for people with problems - reports of failures have been extremely rare.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
1. Can you control the volume of the group in the app? If so, good. If not, network problem most likely.

2. Where are the playlists stored? On your computer? Online service such as Spotify? Stored on your mobile device like an iPhone?

3. I don't believe that functionality is available. You would just need to set playback to shuffle in the app.
You're not on your own. I'm on my second Sonos One, both have gone faulty within a couple of months. In my opinions this product is not doing Sonos any favours. I've been extremely happy with the other Sonos components I've purchased but this seems like a bit of a dud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

Normally I would not have a title as negative as this but I'm an hour in to opening my birthday present this morning - a Sonos One and rewind a few years when I was a little more hot headed I think it would already be out of the window.

It's taken me two restarts to get it working but am experiencing the following problems:
1. I can control volume in individual rooms but not group volume. I currently have three different speakers in one room so this is problem for me.
2. It doesn't seem to recognize half the names of my play lists
3. When asking it to shuffle a currently playing playlist it switches a new recommended playlist from Amazon

Are these all 'teething' problems and should I stick with it having now invested in one (excuse the pun) or send back and get a Play 1?

Hi

1/ It's not currently possible to control Group Volume via voice but I would expect this soon - just my opinion though!
2/ Local Playlists can't be initiated via Voice only streamed playlists;

I'd stick with the One, as the quality is the same as the Play:1 and updates are being delivered at a reasonable pace.