Question

Sonos One and Smart Home Automation

• 24 October 2017
  • 9 replies

I just bought my first Sonos product today in the Sonons One. It's replacing my Alexa as that unit has sub par audio quality. I followed all steps to set up alexa with the One however I'm not able to control my Philips hue kitchen lights like I was before with voice command. This is a function of the smart home skills in Alexa. Is it not possible with Sonos One or am I doing something wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sometimes discovering devices on the PC version of the Alexa App works better than the Android or iOS versions (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or https://alexa.amazon.com)
"Here's a guide to adding the Hue Lighting to your alexa app". ??
Was there supposed to be a link with this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For phillips Hue lighting you do not need a smartthings hub. I have a smartthings but don't need it for the hue lighting when it comes to alexa.

Here is a guide to adding Hue Lighting to your alexa app.

You can then command all your scenes

Alexa turn on bright in bedroom
Alexa turn on nightlight in bedroom
Alexa turn off bedroom
Alexa turn up bedroom
Alexa turn down bedroom
Make sure you have the Smart Things hub and skill set up. Also, make sure the room names of your smart devices don't overlap at all in the Alexa app.

I'm having trouble as well. Do I need to have an additional piece of hardware called a Smart Things Hub? When I've tried to set up the skill alexa ask me to push the big button of the hub. I don't have a hub just the sonos One
Badge
Also Issues here, Alexa works but not with Smart Home devices like Hue and Harmony hub
I got mine to work after a little bit of effort. I had to make sure I discovered devices a couple times as I added new things to the device list. Also, the naming is important in the Alexa app. But now it works really well.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I got Hue to work by removing voice services from the Sonos and then adding it back.

Even then it didn't work properly. I have a Hue light called "Office Light" and a Play:1 called "Office", when I said "Turn on the Office Light" the Sonos One didn't understand it, but did for other rooms. I suspect the names conflicted.
The Philips Hue should work fine with Sonos One. Make sure you have the Smart Things hub and skill set up. Also, make sure the room names of your smart devices don't overlap at all in the Alexa app.
Ryan you keep telling people that it should work, but clearly there is an issue here. There seems to be a few people (myself included) who are simply unable to get hue devices to function with the Sonos One alone
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Philips Hue should work fine with Sonos One. Make sure you have the Smart Things hub and skill set up. Also, make sure the room names of your smart devices don't overlap at all in the Alexa app.