Question

Sonos One and Echo Dot - who is answering

• 26 October 2017
  • 2 replies

I just put a Sonos One in my kitchen and all setup worked fine. (Already have Sonos and Echo in multiple other rooms). My problem is that the Sonos One appears to be less sensitive than my Echo Dots.

If I stand right in front of the Sonos One all is good. But just today I stood maybe 5 feet from it, while facing it. Said the wake word and issued a command which wasn't answered by the Sonos One, instead an Echo Dot that is maybe 15ft away, through two doorways and around a corner in another room answered instead.

I thought Echo devices worked out amongst themselves which should answer but with the Sonos One it doesn't seem to be working. Either the microphones in the Dot are much more ssensitive and/or if both devices hear the command then the nearby Dot responds.

This is getting annoying; if only the Sonos One hears me then things are good but if the Dot manages to listen then all bets are off. Anyone else having similar experiences?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm having the same problem and feeling pretty dissappointed. If I'd known i would have left the purchase to later. I understand that Sonos can improve the senstivity through software but my experience of Sonos leaves me worried that any update won't be released until mid 2019. I will wait a while and if nothing comes out then the Sonos One will be going back. A shame but I cant afford a dud.
my experience of Sonos leaves me worried that any update won't be released until mid 2019. I will wait a while and if nothing comes out then the Sonos One will be going back. A shame but I cant afford a dud.
No no, I can't see them taking 18 months for what Sonos has said needs a software fix. Perhaps even 2017 will see one for an issue as important. There is a longer thread here on the subject of microphone sensitivity that you may want to read.