Sonos One and Audio Device in Routine Not Supported on this Device

• 3 October 2018
  • 27 replies

When triggering a routine within Alexa she announces that "audio device in routine is not supported on this device", and then carries out whats in the routine. How do I get rid of this "announcment"?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi dhaugland

Are there any Amazon devices near by that are integrated with a Sonos devcie? What Alexa supported device are you using? Sono One or Beam?
Hi,

I currently only have the Sonos One and my phone. The Sonos One shows as two devices in the Alexa App, as far as I could understand one being the "echo" part, the other the Sonos speaker.
Userlevel 7
That’s a strange one. To verify there isn’t an Echo device nearby... please log out of your Amazon/Alexa account in the app and in the Sonos app. . Unplug the Sonos One. Delete the Alexa and Sonos apps. Check that your phone is running the latest software. Power cycle your phone. Re-install the apps Plug in your Sonos One it should be recognized by Sonos app. In the Sonos App sign into Alexa to allow voice Control. Setup the Sonos skill in Alexa. Ask Alexa to discover devices. If an echo is found then there is either one somewhere in your home or your Amazon account has been spoofed. I would submit a diagnostic and post the Referrnce ID in this forum. Let us know what happens.

Cheers!
Here`s what I did:
- Logged out of my Alexa account in the Alexa app.
- Didn`t find a way to log out of the Sonos app so I factory reseted it.
- Unplugged the Sonos One
- Delted the Sonos And Alexa apps
- Restarted my phone
- Reinstalled the Sonos and Alexa apps
- Set up Sonos One in the Sonos app
- In Sonos app, signed in to Alexa
- In Alexa app, disabled and enabled the Sonos skull
- Asked Alexa to disover my devices (1 new found)

I think you might be "fooled" by the name of my Alexa devices. The "Living Room Echo" is not an Amazon Echo! Its just me renaming the Sonos. It showed up two Sonos One devices, and I called one "Living Room Echo" and the other "Living Room Sonos" in order to keep them apart. Just a manuall override there.

She still announce "audio device in routine not supported on this device". No matter what I enter in the routine that she should rund. It could be a simulated switch, a smart home device, the weather, the calender, etc. She always start out with "audio device in routine...." before carrying out the routine.
Userlevel 7
Hi Again

Try the trouble shooting tips in the link to remove the phantom device.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/resolving-the-majority-of-issues-with-alexa-on-sonos-6798039

BTW as far as I know "routines" are not supported in the Sonos One w/Alexa. What my be happening is that the Sonos One is executing that portion of the "routine" it understands. Try giving shorter commands such as "Alexa turn on lights" instead of "Alexa, turn on lights in the living room and make them blue."

Cheers!
Hi,

I followed the guide there, but no luck.
In addition to the steps i forgot all devices, removed every routine and unlinked everything before setting it up again.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
BTW as far as I know "routines" are not supported in the Sonos One w/Alexa.

I'm not aware of anything official yet, but I have several Alexa Routines that recently (and I don't know exactly when) started working with my Sonos Ones.
Userlevel 7
BTW as far as I know "routines" are not supported in the Sonos One w/Alexa.

I'm not aware of anything official yet, but I have several Alexa Routines that recently (and I don't know exactly when) started working with my Sonos Ones.

Thanks Master T...for the unofficial update. I'll have give it a go. :8
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Cross-posting from the webCoRE community in response to @dhaughland, as this is a Sonos issue:

Okay, after further testing and investigation, I can see that there is an issue with the combination of Sonos One, Alexa Routines, and any simulated or virtual switch in SmartThings.

Bottom line, an Alexa Routine that invokes a simulated switch will work without any problem on an Amazon Echo device. However, while an Alexa Routine that invokes a simulated switch WILL work on a Sonos One, it will not do so without the “Audio actions and routines are not currently supported on this device” error message.

Again, Sonos has not formally announced support for Alexa Routines, so hopefully this will be addressed in the near future.

P.S. I see similar behavior on the Sonos One with weather and calendar actions, but not with real switches and such from ST.
I just did some further testing based on your reply, Master T.
If I tell Alexa routines to control a scene (which is a ST routine), then she replies with "ok".
If I tell Alexa routines to control anything else, be it a simulated switch, and actual device (like a real switch), weather, calender etc., then she replies with "audio devices in routine is not supported on this device".

Will test this further when I get home from work.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
The 'audio devices' announcement does not occur for me controlling any 'real' devices like light switches via the Sonos One using an Alexa routine. However, my setup is different in one (possibly) important aspect than yours in that I have Brief Mode enabled, which stops Alexa from replying to most successful actions -- i.e., I don't get an 'ok' everytime she does something. Perhaps try Brief Mode to see if it makes a difference.

While in Brief Mode, and during my testing yesterday, the Echo devices did not provide any kind of audio acknowledgement, not even a tone, when a routine was processed correctly. Perhaps the Sonos One confuses the absence of an any kind of acknowledgement with the need for an error message, but that's just speculation.

Either way, it's clear this unofficial implementation is as yet limited. Hopefully it will be expanded soon. While I'll definitely be following it's progress more closely than before, I'm not going to use it for any important task, routines, or pistons.
Clearly limited, but for now I have something that works.

Alexa routine triggers only a scene (which simply is an empty ST routine). Nothing else works. Alexa responds with "ok".
The ST routine triggers a WebCore piston, either by itself or by using a Simulated Switch.
In the WebCore piston I can implement "text to speech", like "garage door already closed" if already closed.

Thank you all for trying to help me.

P.S. I reached out to Sonos support yesterday regarding this and got the reply "The use of Alexa routines with Sonos is not yet supported". This might be true, but unofficially it works with scenes (for me).
I have also contacted Amazon and basically they have stated that Sonos is not properly supporting interactionmodel interface. https://developer.amazon.com/docs/alexa-voice-service/interactionmodel-interface.html

The thing that makes me upset is that Sonos calls out the fact that they don't support Drop in, calling or messaging here: https://www.sonos.com/en-ca/alexa-on-sonos however they don't mention routines at all..... Routines are a big part of Alexa control and functionality, and failing to state it isn't supported is in my opinion false advertisement.
Badge
Hello everyone, I have exactly the same problem. Whatever I've tried, Alexa always announces that "audio device in routine is not supported on this device", and then carries out exactly what I've registered in my routines. So annoying ...
I’ve been told by Amazon that Sonos don’t support routines yet. The funny thing is that routines did work without the error previously. However now every routine has the error and I have made no changes.

I feel this is really limiting the functionality of sonos, and therefore you can’t really replace an Amazon device fully.
I’ve been told by Amazon that Sonos don’t support routines yet. The funny thing is that routines did work without the error previously. However now every routine has the error and I have made no changes.

I feel this is really limiting the functionality of sonos, and therefore you can’t really replace an Amazon device fully.
Yes, I think Sonos would say they don’t support Amazon Routines at the moment. I can’t think of any Sonos announcement, where they have ever said they did support them.

I completely accept that your routines worked fine, mine did too for controlling lights/plugs etc. I think Amazon however have changed their Alexa Routines in many ways. You only have to look and see all the 'new action options' now available in Routines that were certainly not there in the early stages of the Amazon development.

I think the 'error' message we all now hear, is a consequence of these new Amazon changes and that Sonos will perhaps formally look at Routines at some later stage, probably after they have dealt with other matters, like Google Assistant etc.

I also think (hope) that when Sonos do support Routines, that they will include a variety of audio actions for their speakers within the routines too.

I think this is going to be a case of 'wait and see' what Sonos decide to do in this area.
i have yet to see Sonos mention the fact they don’t support routines. They mention other Alexa features that aren’t supported such as calling and drop in, yet no mention of arguably a much more used and important feature such as routines. This is what has frustrated me.
Sonos One and Beam are Alexa enabled. They do not carry Native Alexa. So, regular voice commands given to speakers is handled by the Sonos skills. Lights and switches are handled by those devices hub with the skill set enabled. And even some devices (outlets and switches) an Alexa enabled device can handle without a hub.
But, for now, only Native Alexa devices can use fully voice routines. Yes, u might actually get a routine to run by voice command, but u will get «Audio device in routines...blablabla». Yes, it was dissapointing learning this the hard way. But I don’t think we will ever see a stamp on the package saying «Does not support voice routines». Im really hoping that Sonos and Amazon finds a solution for this. Now I have a $320 Beam speaker getting outsmarted by a $40 Echo Dot... (currency converter for norwegian NOK)
I came on here hoping someone had a fix for it. My routines were working great for about a year. I did some editing last week to some of mine that were working and now I am getting the “audio device in routine is not supported ...” and then it does the routine as I would expect. The routines I did not edit still work fine. It is really frustrating considering it was working. Hope it gets sorted soon.
I recently noticed this issue on my Play One. The routines in question leverage the Home Assistant Emulated Hue component to interface with Alexa which is otherwise working perfectly. https://www.home-assistant.io/components/emulated_hue/

I really hope this will be sorted soon, I was going to move the replace the Play 1 and Echo Dot in my bedroom with a Beam but this issue will make it a non-start in my current automation configuration.
Hmm, I am really disappointed with the limited functions we have with Sonos devices and Alexa. I would almost consider it class action suit worthy because of the false representation. It should really state with Some funtions of Alexa (something in that manner).

If I would have known this when I bought my Sonos One, I would have purchased a Sonos 1 with an echo dot for the same price point!

Sonos get this fixed with timelines of when Support will be complete or compensate your users who bought the device on the premise of buying an Alexa device.
You should contact a lawyer about that suit. Let us know what he says.
Anyone find a fix here? I've just got a One and finding the same problem with Alexa & routines
Hmm, I am really disappointed with the limited functions we have with Sonos devices and Alexa. I would almost consider it class action suit worthy because of the false representation. It should really state with Some funtions of Alexa (something in that manner).

If I would have known this when I bought my Sonos One, I would have purchased a Sonos 1 with an echo dot for the same price point!

Sonos get this fixed with timelines of when Support will be complete or compensate your users who bought the device on the premise of buying an Alexa device.

I really think someone should. People have been complaining about this for years and they just ignore it. They falsely advertise, get sales and then provide no indication of when they plan on fixing it.

I'd be happy to crowd fund money to take SONOS to court.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks to @Blue Hornet for this heads up. It is possible to include an Action to output audio within Alexa Routines to any of your Sonos devices. Please follow these steps to create a very simple Routine but the steps are easy to adapt and include within existing Alexa Routines:

1 Open the Alexa App and click on the menu 3 bars in the top;
2 Select Routines in the Menu;
3 Click the ‘+’ sign in the top right corner of the App;
4 Click ‘When this happens’ and then ‘Voice’;
5 Enter ‘audio test’ – it’s still best to not use capitals;
6 Click ‘Add action’ and then click ‘Play’;
7 Type in ‘Ed Sheeran On [Sonos Room Name]’;
8 Click ‘From’ and then select a source;
9 If you need a ‘Timer’ please click ‘Set Time’;
10 Click ‘Save’

This will now work via the command ‘Alexa, Audio Test’