Answered

Sonos One and Alexa

• 10 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
  • Headliner I
  • 1044 replies
Just ordered the "Two Room Set with Sonos One" and my main reason for choosing these over the Play 1's was the Apple AirPlay 2 and not Alexa integration as I already have Alexa devices.

Now as I've not used/setup the Sonos One before can some one please tell me if Alexa is enabled from the box or do I need to add the connection the Alexa at setup (add new speakers).
I ask as I really do not wish to use Alexa on the One(s) when setup as I have that already with the echo and dot.

P.S. Thanks sonos team you're so 🆒
icon

Best answer by Chris 11 December 2018, 00:30

Dave,

The Sonos One will have to be setup in the Alexa app. I would go ahead and set them up as Alexa anyhow Dave - but you can click on the Microphone button on the top to mute the Microphones inside it. But you'll want them setup to be able to use Alexa voice commands from your other Alexa devices to send music to them.

In the Alexa app now you can create room groups to set the Sonos Ones as the default music speakers for the other Echo units you have in house (emulating the great integration Alexa and the speaker have when using the built in Alexa).
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Dave,

The Sonos One will have to be setup in the Alexa app. I would go ahead and set them up as Alexa anyhow Dave - but you can click on the Microphone button on the top to mute the Microphones inside it. But you'll want them setup to be able to use Alexa voice commands from your other Alexa devices to send music to them.

In the Alexa app now you can create room groups to set the Sonos Ones as the default music speakers for the other Echo units you have in house (emulating the great integration Alexa and the speaker have when using the built in Alexa).
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Hi Chris, okay when I get them I'll have a play and see what happens. The main reason is that my house is small and Echo in living room, Dot in kitchen and if I put the one's in dinning room to replace my Play 1's then I'll have Alexa saying OKAY three times (at once) - all my other sonos gear is setup with Alexa anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would normally say leave the microphones on and Alexa will determine the one that hears you best … but the "dong" noise the Sonos Alexa makes is pretty annoying and I wouldn't want it on if I didn't have a need for it. (hopefully eventually we will be able to turn that darn "dong" off).

The way Alexa works when you start speaking it determines the echo that is closest to you and only that echo is supposed to respond. But like I said - the dong noise on the Sonos Alexa annoys me. I only have one Sonos One (in my bathroom - yes we have real electric outlets in our US bathrooms) and it doesn't over annoy me there. I do have a beam in my sunroom so live with the "dong" noise there as well.