SONOS ONE Alexa voice volumn too low! (clarified sub forum)

• 23 September 2018
  • 6 replies

I just added 2 Sonos One's to my Playbar with Sub as surround sound speakers (5.1 theater config). Music sound level is good but Alexa voice volumn level is too LOW! I can hardly hear her response even when I am very close to the Sonos ONE. If I touch the Sonus ONE to increase the volumn it causes all the speakers to increase in volumn (and Alexa voice volumn is still too low). Anyone having this problem and/or know a solution for it? Is there possible an issue using Sonus ONE in a surround configuration? Please help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi stoney

When you connect the Sonos One as surround speakers Alexa is turned off automatically on the Sonos One

I originally used play ones as surround speakers for that reason. Also airplay is turned off unless connected to playbase or beam
Thanks for the quick reply. So, Sonus ONE Alexa only works when the ONE speakers are set up independently? You wonder why the SONOS app let you configure them as surround sound?
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Yea when connected as a stereo pair as surrounds the Alexa is disabled even if you have a Sonos Beam the Sonos One Alexa would be disabled and only the beam Alexa would work

Like I said I used play one for that reason and £100 cheaper for the pair lol

I use 2 play 5s now as surrounds. And same issue with airplay. This will only work if I have a Sonos One or other Sonos airplay device set up independently and then group them all together

But after finally getting true 5.1 surround sound from the tv/dvd/Netflix /amazon to my Sonos gear I would not change it.
So, please clarify. You finally achieved true 5.1 surround sound with Play 5s with your Playbar and Sub? Can I use Play 1s to achieve true 5.1 surround sound? Play 5s are too expensive for me at this time. Thanks for your patience. Please advise.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Yes sorry. U can get true 5.1 with any of the paired surround speakers it all depends if your source ie tv/dvd player is transmitting in 5.1
My LG tv would only transmit in stereo so I needed to buy a hdmi to optical splitter to get it

Easy way to tell is put a film on then go in to your Sonos app then go to settings then about my Sonos system. Find your playbar/playbase/beam and see if the audio in is stereo or Dolby 5.1
I checked with nothing playing and my Playbar says Stereo. When I get a chance I will play a film with Dolby and see with it says then. Thanks for this tip.