Answered

Sonos One Alexa not as good as Echo

• 1 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Sonos One Alexa does not work as well as Echo Dot -- does not respond as quickly and sometimes not as accurate -- anyone see this behavior?
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 2 December 2017, 18:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
The sound quality of th Sonos One is much better than any of the Echo products. And, I think the visual appearance of the Sonos is nicer. The Echo is way ahead of ths Sonos in the realm of voice control and related features.
Badge
I agree on the SONOS One/Alexa being subpar. Will give them the benefit of the doubt for now since they are considered the new kid on the block. I can see the possible rush to get a product pushed out before the holiday timeframe to boost sales and SONOS seems to be on the eager side to mention updates/improvements will soon follow.

Currently I have noticed the following:
**If I play music on sonos from my local music share/source (aka \\computer\music), then I am unable to tell Alexa to lower/increase the volume or even pause it.
**Cannot play sleep sounds such as Rain, Thunderstorm, or Ocean sounds (seems to be a skill limitation)
**Noticed that for every Alexa/One device I see 2x devices in Alexa app (settings). There is a device for the Speaker and the other for the Alexa integrated device. (And Amazon echo support was surprised when I forwarded them a screenshot of this as to why they could not see the registered devices and I could).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

**If I play music on sonos from my local music share/source (aka \\computer\music), then I am unable to tell Alexa to lower/increase the volume or even pause it.

This is possible but you may need to use the room name

**Cannot play sleep sounds such as Rain, Thunderstorm, or Ocean sounds (seems to be a skill limitation)

Agreed, although there are some sleep sounds on Amazon which are available.

**Noticed that for every Alexa/One device I see 2x devices in Alexa app (settings). There is a device for the Speaker and the other for the Alexa integrated device. (And Amazon echo support was surprised when I forwarded them a screenshot of this as to why they could not see the registered devices and I could).

Yes this is as intended.
Sonos, time to upgrade the firmware on the Alexia software for Sonos One!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos, time to upgrade the firmware on the Alexia software for Sonos One!!!

Upgrades being delivered circa every 10 days, not fast enough?