Question

Sonos One Alexa is half baked - Smart Home doesn't work?

• 23 October 2017
  • 36 replies

I didn't see this advertised anywhere but after setting up my Sonos One with Alexa it seems that any smart home devices do not work. All works perfectly with my echo dot but the Sonos Alexa is kind of a half baked approach.

Is that just me? Sonos admins please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Badge
I see Sacha's Echo (Online) / Sacha's Echo Dot (Online) / Sacha's Sonos One (Offline) / Family Room (no status)

thank you very much to try to help me.

I have the feeling that I'm now troubleshooting since 3 to 5 hours ... disable/enable skill, reset of my Sonos One and reconfigure. Remove and reinstall the app on the phone. I also tried with a brand new Amazon Alexa Account with no other devices - my Sonos is online for some seconds and then it goes offline again. Firmware on the Speaker is 8.2.3 on the App 8.2.2
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I just noticed you are from Switzerland, is this your current location? The Sonos One skill is currently only supported in the UK,US and Germany.
Badge
Yes that's true. But also Alexa is in general not supported in Switzerland and I use it since near 2 years. It's just not possible to add the location in Switzerland.

My Sonos One works in general, I can also use Alexa - only the Smart Home things are not working - wich are working well on my Echo devices.

I want wo Switch to Sonos One from my Echo devices because of the better Sound quality of Sonos, the possibility to control via app on the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The problem normally comes from your Amazon account or Spotify location but these would cause issues with your Echo devices as well, so we can assume that isn't the problem.

Can you try removing the Wi-Fi credentials under settings and connect the Sonos One directly to your Router via an Ethernet cable. Then using the PC version of the Alexa App (https://alexa.amazon.com) select Smart Home>Devices>Forget All followed by 'Discover. WARNING: If you have set-up Routines, this will remove all actions from all routines!

Retest
Badge
Ok, connected by Ethernet cable, reseted to be sure there is no connect to WiFi and via https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#appliances all devices forgotten. But still the same - what I need to say, when I discover it finds again all devices (19x Hue lights / 1x Harmony Hub / 1x Sonos Room) - but I can't control those from Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I have a Harmony Hub and can control from my Sonos One fine. The same voice syntax works from my Echo devices and Sonos One. And you can control music via the Sonos One?
Badge
Yes Music control works fine. Maybe I need to wait some time and hope for a newer firmware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You could try disabling the Harmony skill and then re-Enabling.
Badge
Already tried this multiple time, same with the Hue skill. Disable and re-enabled, on the app and on the Alexa-Website.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The only thing I can think off then is to follow the steps I've listed in this post to rest the Amazon Alexa authorisation:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-alexa-issues-6796539/index1.html#post16180399

Merry Christmas 🙂
I'm having no luck getting SonosOnew/Alexa and a recently purchased Echo Dot to discover smart home devices. I use Insteon devices via software/hardware provided by Indigo.com. Indigo has a plugin called Hue Bridge which is supposed to emulate this device but several attempts yield nothing.
New Strategy: I will purchase an Insteon Hub 2245-222 which is supposed to directly communicate with Alexa (there is an Insteon skill that can be enabled). Hopefully that will cure my woes and I'll be happily controlling my lights and scenes. I'll report back.