Question

Sonos One Alexa Chime Going Off Randomly

• 15 November 2017
  • 14 replies

I recently purchased a Sonos One and love it. However the Alexa chime keeps going off randomly even though the wake word was never said. Sometimes the chime just happens and sometimes Alexa says something like I didn’t understand that or something along those lines. It is no where near my tv and I never have the volume loud at all so I don’t know what it is hearing that it thinks is the wake word.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I am experiencing the same issue. I have 2 Sonos One speakers setup as surround sound with my Sonos Playbar. At first, I thought Alexa was responding to a similar wake word from the TV, but it’s seems to be random.
Userlevel 1
I've mentioned this issue a few times already elsewhere on this and other forums. The advise is to contact Sonos directly and report this problem. At the moment they seem to be in denial saying no one's reporting this as an issue so we need as many people with the problem to let them know it's a real major bug.
Userlevel 3
Same here. I too have posted the same on a number of threads. It is infuriating when you are having a conversation and its dinging all the time.
Same here. I just received 2 Sonos One speakers and installed as surround sound with my Sonos Playbar and sub. I also initially thought Alexa was responding to a similar wake word. But after a few days passed, it now seems to be from random spoken words.
Same here. Really frustrating as otherwise great device. May have to return it and rest of sonos I bought on Black Friday as it’s unacceptable and frustrating to not be able to sit in a room without it going off every 10 mins.
Another testimony of this. I just recently replaced my two Play 1 surrounds with the One's, and though it doesn't happen really really often, it's enough to be really annoying. Because it lowers the audio of what we're watching we actually miss dialogue. It's bad enough to where I will swap them back out if there's no fix eventually. I can be patient, but only if it's an acknowledged issue that's going to get fixed.
Glad I’m not the only one experiencing this problem. I will report it to Sonos.
Was just thinking about this. Since I would like to retain the Alexa functionality in my surrounds, if they could add an option where the audio doesn't lower and you can remove the wake word chime, that would be optimal. Have them there by default for new users, but let us turn them off if our installation scenario needs it.
So glad I'm not crazy. Just bought 2 SONOS ONE speakers for surround and when anyone is having a conversation, the wake sound is activated about every 2-3 minutes while talking. And we're not even saying ALEXA or anything remotely similar. It's almost a deal breaker. I specifically bought these to replace my Alexa in the living room / kitchen area, and I'm about to turn it off altogether. Not real happy to have dropped $1800 to be irritated nightly.
My daughter gets a kick out of yelling "An eggs butt" and having the Sonos One surrounds chirp. It works... every... time. 😛 I'm going to go back to my normal Play:1 surrounds and just add a nearby single Play One. I was thinking of adding another speaker to the other side of my room anyway for parties. Still needs to be fixed though. 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
There was a software update made available yesterday (8.2.3), that not only made Alexa incredibly more responsive but nearly eliminated the false triggers for me. I say "nearly" only because it's been less than 24 hours, but so far I haven't had one yet.
Update to the 8.2.3 firmware on the One that was made available yesterday. Fixes the false triggers and sensitivity issues. Appears to work as well as a Dot now, makes a huge difference in Alexa usage.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I know this is an old thread just wanted to add I've just started having same issue with the Sonos Beam. Wakes up to random sounds and words. Even our 2 month olds squeals!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same here on my Beam. 😞