Sonos One - Alexa - Audio Actions are Currently Not Supported on This Device

• 24 December 2018
  • 5 replies

I have 6 Sonos One speakers throughout my house, and I frequently use Alexa to control various smart home devices. These devices include:

*Lutron Caseta Switches
*Ecobee4 Thermostats
*Logitech Harmony Hub
*iDevice Plug

For the past year or so, I have been using Alexa Routines for performing multiple actions on these devices. Most of these routines only include settings for my Lutron Caseta switches, but two have additional actions for my Logitech Harmony Hub. Until this past Saturday, all of these Routines worked perfectly fine when executed via Alexa on one of my Sonos One speakers.

On Saturday I installed a Ring Video Doorbell Pro and a 3rd Generation Echo Dot. I added the Ring skill to Alexa along with the doorbell camera. The Ring Doorbell is not included in ANY of my Routines.

After making these additions on Saturday, anytime I try to execute a Routine from a Sonos One speaker via Alexa, the routine will execute, but Alexa always responds "Audio Actions are Currently Not Supported on This Device," and it is driving me crazy.

I understand that the Sonos One is only Alexa enabled, and that all Echo functions are not supported. I also understand that Audio actions are not supported in a Routine when executed via a Sonos speaker. However, I have not changed anything about any of my Routines, and none involve Audio actions.

I suspected that this might have something to do with the Ring Video Doorbell Pro, so I disabled the skill and removed the doorbell camera from Alexa. This did not solve the problem. Subsequently I have forgotten and re-added all of my devices, and rebuilt all of my routines, and no matter what I do I still get the same response from Alexa on all Sonos speakers when executing a routine. This includes routines that only have a single action that sets a Lutron Caseta Switch.

I have double-checked that none of my devices, groups, scenes, etc. have duplicate names that could be messing with Alexa. At this point I have no idea how to resolve the issue, and any help would be appreciated!

I know that there have been similar posts on this issue previously, but I have not been able to find resolution using any of those threads.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I'm having the same issue. I have a routine "Goodnight" which simply shuts down all my wemo plugs and switches. Worked fine with my Sonos One until just recently. I added a 3rd Gen Echo Dot to my home. The issue seemed to arise around the same time. I wonder if they're related. I also added a step to my routine which shuts down my TV using my Harmony Hub. No audio is used, but I'm still getting the same error as you. When I get home today I'm going to try to remove that portion of the routine and see if that's whats causing the error. If it persist, I'm thinking that by adding the new Dot, it's causing some compatibility issues with the Sonos.
VTENGR - I posted this same thing to the Sonos subreddit, and the consensus is that this is affecting almost everyone who uses Alexa routines with Sonos One or Beam, no matter what devices are included. My temporary workaround has been to build out all of my routines using Yonomi, and then using an Alexa routine to kick off the Yonomi routine (Using the Yonomi skill). If the Yonomi scene is the only thing in the Alexa routine, then the message is not played.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks. I will give this a shot.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
VTENGR - I posted this same thing to the Sonos subreddit, and the consensus is that this is affecting almost everyone who uses Alexa routines with Sonos One or Beam, no matter what devices are included. My temporary workaround has been to build out all of my routines using Yonomi, and then using an Alexa routine to kick off the Yonomi routine (Using the Yonomi skill). If the Yonomi scene is the only thing in the Alexa routine, then the message is not played.

Thanks for this suggestion. I followed it and now my routines work without that annoying error. Yonomi actually adds some functionality to the routines that Alexa was missing, so it's an all around win.
VTENGR - I'm glad to hear it! My Yonomi routines have been mostly rock solid. I have one that performs a series of actions with Lutron Caseta switches, and sometimes it doesn't successfully do all of them. Haven't figured out why yet.