Answered

Sonos Names and Alexa?

• 19 October 2017
  • 1 reply

i have two sonos connect devices. (two house scenario) right now i can't get one to work. is the name of the sonos device important? when i look at the connect with the Sonos app it stays "Sonos Living Room" when i look at the name in the Alexa ap it says Lake Sonos. i tell Alexa to play X on Sonos and it says playing X on Lake Sonos and no sound comes out.... if i tell the Connect to play from the Sonos app all is fine.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 20 October 2017, 03:03

Hello there, ShadowDad:

In a multi-household situation, it is important to understand that the Sonos skill in the Alexa app is tied to the Sonos ID. This means, that when you tell Alexa to play X on Sonos, Alexa is controlling the house (Sonos System based on SonosID) it is connected to. The best way to do a multi-household set-up would be with different Amazon Accounts and Sonos ID's. This would be similar to treating each house/location as a separate "household". When going into the Sonos app you are going through the local network, this is why you can control playback normally from within the app.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, ShadowDad:

In a multi-household situation, it is important to understand that the Sonos skill in the Alexa app is tied to the Sonos ID. This means, that when you tell Alexa to play X on Sonos, Alexa is controlling the house (Sonos System based on SonosID) it is connected to. The best way to do a multi-household set-up would be with different Amazon Accounts and Sonos ID's. This would be similar to treating each house/location as a separate "household". When going into the Sonos app you are going through the local network, this is why you can control playback normally from within the app.