Question

Sonos Echo Dot integration

• 9 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Any idea how to get Groups working. I'm trying to add two rooms of Sonos into one group called Everywhere which is accepted but the Save button never becomes active and Alexa never understands Everywhere. Alexa only understands one zone or the other but no group.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What it sounds like you want to do is not supported functionality at this time. You cannot setup groups of Sonos speakers in Alexa, or add a sonos speaker with an echo for the purpose of playing music in sync between the two devices.

If you want to initiate audio for a group of sonos speakers, you can group them in the app, then tell Alexa to play music on one of the speakers in that group.
Okay, thank you for the response. I guess I misunderstood the Echo Dot group idea. I now see it has to be able to find the specific physical device to create a group. I was thinking the Groups in Smart Home might be able to group all Sonos devices as one. Dang!

But wouldn't it be cool to setup a group like AllSonos on the Alexa app and say " Alexa, play Spotify playlist1 on AllSonos"!

Thank you again Melvimbe,
Jeff
I'd be interested to hear any updates on this. I also was under the impression the two devices would be able to talk to each other. I have an Echo Dot in one room hooked up to a conventional stereo and an Alexa Sonos One in another room. The Echo Dot will control the Sonos in the other room but I can't get them to play together. In the Alexa app I've added them both to a group called 'Downstairs' along with 2 Ikea lightbulbs. The Echo Dot recognises the 'Downstairs' group to control the light bulbs but it doesn't recognise the 'Downstairs' group when I ask to play music. Frustrating, although something I'm hoping that will be addressed in future updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'd be interested to hear any updates on this. I also was under the impression the two devices would be able to talk to each other. I have an Echo Dot in one room hooked up to a conventional stereo and an Alexa Sonos One in another room. The Echo Dot will control the Sonos in the other room but I can't get them to play together. In the Alexa app I've added them both to a group called 'Downstairs' along with 2 Ikea lightbulbs. The Echo Dot recognises the 'Downstairs' group to control the light bulbs but it doesn't recognise the 'Downstairs' group when I ask to play music. Frustrating, although something I'm hoping that will be addressed in future updates.

If you are trying to have synchronised music played from your Echo Dot to your attached speakers and your Sonos One then this is not supported - you can only have one or the other at present.
Thanks... At least I seem to be doing everything right then. Fingers crossed for an update in the future. Thanks for the reply.