Sonos Beam, “Sorry that device is offline” fix

• 16 October 2018
  • 3 replies

My Sonos Beam would not play any music service through Alexa. It would say, “Sorry, that device is offline”. Read a lot of posts but nothing worked for me. Finally, I renamed the room from “Living Room” to “TV Room”. I then deregistered the device from the Alexa App, removed voice service from the Sonos App, and then reset up Alexa with the Sonos App. And amazingly everything started working again. I hope this works for anybody that is having the same problem because it was a frustrating process.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi sonet_sg

Great that you got things sorted out! However, I don't think changing the room name was necessary. What did the trick IMO was as you said "I then deregistered the device from the Alexa App, removed voice service from the Sonos App, and then reset up Alexa with the Sonos App. And amazingly everything started working again"

Well Done!
Hey AjTrek1,

I tried a couple of times to deregister and re-register. I also tried factory resetting all to no avail. The changing of the name was the only thing that worked for me. On initial setup, I was at a different location. I resetup the speaker at the new one keeping the same name, “Living Room”. Could this be a cause for the issue I was experiencing?

BR
I had the same issue. It's probably not the name. I kept the same "dining room" name. The key did the trick is to disable Sonos skill in Alexa app and re-enable it, which trigger Alexa to discover the speaker (simply discovering new device does not work, as it would not find it even though the speaker had been removed from Alexa). After the same dining room speaker was found, the issue was solved.

Interestingly, adding voice service in Sonos app only links the microphone part to Alexa. I could only add the speaker part via the method above.