Answered

“Sonos Beam skill”?

• 29 July 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi, I bought the Beam this week and have a problem. Normal setup is fine: it plays TV sound and I can control TV volume with voice commands and I can issue regular Alexa commands e.g. “Alexa, what’s the time?”, but if I say “Alexa, turn the TV off” she says “sorry I couldn’t find a device called TV”, and if I say “Alexa, play songs by Led Zeppelin” (which would play from Spotify on all my other Echo devices) she says “Hmm, to do that first enable the Sonos Beam skill in the Alexa app, then say ‘Alexa discover my devices’”
I searched the Alexa skills for “Sonos Beam” but can find nothing. I already have the Sonos skill enabled.
icon

Best answer by jimt29 1 August 2018, 06:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge
I’m having a similar problem except it is saying “please enable the skill.
The Beam is usually identified to Alexa by its Sonos Room Name, such as 'Lounge' or 'Kitchen for example', for general Audio purposes.

However if speaking directly to the built-in Alexa component, you don’t need to say the Beams room name ... example: 'Alexa, Play Music byLed Zepplin' will often suffice.

The CEC TV controls part of the Beam however are identified to Alexa by a separate device via the same Sonos Skill ... the device is called “[Room Name] TV”, such as “Lounge TV” of “Kitchen TV” for example...

So once you have enabled both HDMI-CEC on your TV Settings and the Sonos Skill in the Amazon Alexa App, perhaps try these commands below ... I’m using “Lounge” here as my example Sonos Room.

“Alexa, turn on the Lounge TV”... the TV should turn on
“Alexa, set the volume in the Lounge, to 1” ... The Beam and TV should adjust their volume to 10%
“Alexa, set the volume on Lounge TV, to 20” ... The TV and Beam should adjust their volume to 20%
“Alexa, turn off the Lounge TV”... the TV should turn off

“Alexa, Shuffle Music by Adele” .. Alexa should shuffle songs by Adele using your default streaming music service set in the Alexa App Settings and play them on the Beam (+ grouped rooms etc.)

Obviously you can go onto give other available Sonos instructions to Alexa ... and a useful list of commands are shown in this link ...

Controlling your Sonos with Amazon Alexa

If you are still having no luck getting things to work, then this Sonos Support Article and the links off it are worth a read...

Setting up the Sonos Beam
Badge
“So once you have enabled both HDMI-CEC on your TV Settings and the Sonos Skill in the Amazon Alexa App, perhaps try these commands below ... I’m using “Lounge” here as my example Sonos Room.”
I see this Enabled Sonos Skill” and my Sonos Beam says the skill is not enabled. I find no Skill that might fit “ABILITY TO TURN A SAMSUNG TV ON/OFF”.
The Beam controls tv volume and plays music, tells me the time and like that but no other tv controls.
Can you assist it clarifying this issue?
Badge
SOLVED...my problem was solved. I was saying “Alexa turn off the TV”. I should have said “Turn off BEDROOM TV”.
I edited the device name from bedroom tv to tv and now it woiks.
The SKILL is SONOS!
Jim
My issue is similar but when I say "Alexa turn on (or off) master bedroom tv" she says ok but then nothing happens. TV volume control and other Alexa things seem to work fine.
Badge
SOLVED...my problem was solved. I was saying “Alexa turn off the TV”. I should have said “Turn off BEDROOM TV”.
I edited the device name from bedroom tv to tv and now it woiks.
The SKILL is SONOS!
Jim

I tried this and I am still getting this error. Wondering if their are any other tips?